We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Saving Private Ryan Cast (Hanks, Sizemore, Damon & Burns) & Goodfellas Cast (De Niro, Liotta, Pesci, Scorsese etc)- 3rd Party authenticator says not authentic

Hi everyone

This is my first ever post on this site and I'm very thankful to come across such a wealth of knowledge and help.  I'm a beginner with minimal experience in the world of Autographs but I do have a great interest in collecting and displaying for my own personal admiration.  I'm seeking some guidance on two posters I recently purchased on Ebay.  Please bare with me if I seem a little inexperienced as I am.

1) I came across a Saving private Ryan poster on Ebay that I purchased from a seller who claims he purchased it from the National WW2 museum years ago.  it came with a COA from the museum. 

2) Also came across a goodfellas signed movie poster with several cast signatures on it.  Seller is addicted2sports.  He claims he got half the signatures himself but did not specify how or where.  It also came with a COA from addicted2sports.net.  A website is present but not helpful at all in terms of giving any verification or background.

I sent both to JSA for authentication and both failed for numerous reasons (atypical letter slant, irregular letter shape, lacks spontaneity etc.)

I contacted both sellers and the one who sold me the Goodfellas poster responded that 1) he was disappointed it failed and doesn't know how because he acquired about half the autographs himself 2) he was willing to refund me what I paid as I was unhappy and already started the return policy via eBay on his own and has been very responsive.  Still waiting to hear from the Saving Private Ryan sender, he appears to be a casual seller who didn't even know what JSA was when i initially emailed him to tell him I was sending the poster there for authentication.

What is everyone's thoughts on the signatures.  I've read that JSA can certainly screw up and there is no exact science.  Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for the help and patience.

-Drew

Views: 770

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with JSA.

Neither are authentic IMO. Here's my saving private Ryan for you to compare.
Attachments: No photo uploads here

Thanks for the replies.  Mike T, I can clearly see the differences when comparing your photo to mine.  Luckily for me both sellers have agreed to refund me the money I paid.  From now I will just stick to searching for items that have COA from JSA or PSA.  I'm assuming that can't be forged (The actual sticker and COA)?  I have a poster signed by Mark Cranston that I am may send out to JSA.  I will post it in this forum first for everyone's thoughts in a different thread.  Thank you so much for the replies

Some PSA and JSA certs have been faked in past. Just be sure to enter in the cert numbers to verify that's its in their database. Also there are times PSA/DNA and JSA will make mistakes and authenticate and certify a forgery. It's not common but it does happen.

And just because an autograph is authentic does not mean it is attractive or desirable. One can imagine an A,B and C to express several qualities, contrast, placement etc.).

Eric

Thanks for the insight which makes total sense.  I guess it's all to the eye of the beholder.

Out of curiosity, do you guys give an idea of value on a particular piece.  I'm not talking about an actual appraisal obviously, just an idea of how much a signed photo may be.  I have a Muhammad Ali PSA authenticated hand written signed mail envelope framed under one of his more popular photos.  Was always curious how much something like that may be worth on the market.  Thanks

I would not sell your Muhammad Ali autographed envelope for less than $400 Drew.

Certified items are a good place to start when you're new to the hobby, but please don't assume that just because the item is stickered that it's 100% real. I recommend that you run things by the folks on the forum before you purchase them. That will help you get a better idea about an item before you spend the dough. 

And what is an autograph that's not 100% real?

100% fake.

Drew,

Before you send something to a third-party authenticator, get an authenticity opinion on sites like this one or from a TPA's online opinion service for $10-$15. You'll find out how likely it is to be genuine before you pay for full authentication.

Steve,

Thanks for the great advice.  I actually did just that with my Breaking Bad Poster signed by Mark Cranston.  Posted a photo here first for opinions before sending off to PSA.  This site has been great for me and appreciate all the advice I've received thus far.  Looking forward to contributing to the community in the future.  

Psst...It's Bryan.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service