We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

THE PHILOSOPHY OF MODERN SONG: SIGNED EDITION by Bob Dylan (Not Cheap!)

Views: 31048

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of course  it’s not a hoax - the mind boggles that anybody thinks it would be.

Everybody  should be thanking this guy for showing us we were about to be ripped off on a mass scale instead of coming up with ridiculous theories on it not being real.

You still do not understand that every angle has to be researched and investigated.. otherwise you are just assuming with no proof

I don't mean any disrespect, but at this point I think researching the hoax theory is a sign of obsession. Murder investigations are carried out with less diligence: if you find the murder weapon with bloody fingerprints from the main suspect, it's far more likely the suspect is the murderer than the alternative theory that it was secretly Elon Musk who has no motive but could in theory have used a billion-dollar technique to fake the crimescene.

You mentioned a motive, but there are far more effective ways to reach that goal which take less effort.

I wouldnt call it obsessed.. more like pissed.. if you followed my posts at all months ago, you know how I can get when autopens are sold. Im honestly 99% sure its the case at this point but that 1% doubt is the difference. I always try to be completely sure, without a doubt about everything.. its just who I am. Im also having fun researching.

I read your posts. My comment was not meant in a negative way towards you. Just saying how I see things as a researcher  Even if you could confirm this video as a fake, it wouldn't tell you if the actual copies are real or autopen or ghost signed. You'll find out soon enough when more copies surface.

But as long as you're having fun doing this all is good.

If there was a weak link in the chain, I would expect it to be at the shipping/warehouse level. With all due respect (and speaking as someone who lives in this region), the area in which this warehouse resides has a reputation for outsourcing a lot of labour -- it's a city with a bunch of Amazon distribution centres/warehouses that's just now going into their holiday/temp season. I could very well see someone who doesn't care tossing this stuff into a mailer without any regard for what it is or how it's valued.

Faking the book would require someone with knowledge to create a mockup book with a dust jacket that is very clearly bearing a set of prices that is different from the regular version ($599 USD vs. $45 USD), access to the typography/dust jacket design from the publisher and the wherewithal to create a fake signature page. Even with the caveat that someone could do this with the intent to resell, I haven't seen anything, nor have ever witnessed a case, where someone had the means or equipment to fake such a book in that way.

The signature page can more likely be explained by "pilling" along the edge, which is not out of the realm of possibility -- I posted pics a year or so back from a copy of Robbie Robertson's "Testimony", which had a sig page in the Can. edition that had significant pilling along the attachment edge indicating it wasn't bound-in properly.

I am looking forward to seeing how the publisher (Simon and Schuster) responds to the situation.

There are 2 versions of this book, a signed copy and an unsigned.. this means the dust jackets just need to be swapped.. the actual autographed page just needs to be created and slipped into the unsigned book.. its actually very simple. The page would be extremely easy to create and cut to size. Its a lot easier than you think. There are resellers who purchase taylor swift autographs she signed 200k of just to flip for $10 profit.. why can't an employee spend 5 minutes on photoshop to make a dummy page to make possibly hundreds of people cancel their orders so he can order more with an employee discount and make thousands in profit, not just $10? It seems like a reasonably likely Senerio to me. I want to explore all possibilities and not just assume 1 aspect 

This said, I appreciate the info. Again, you are most likely right in this case but im going to keep researching everything possible until a conclusion is made. Someone has to, there's hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue being played with potentially. This is a serious hit on our community and it has to be researched thoroughly. Im hoping people would help instead of thinking im coming up with ridiculous ideas while they sit and do nothing

I think you're overreaching on this. Even if both of us think it would be "easy" to create, neither you nor I nor anyone outside of Simon and Schuster's production/design offices have access to the typography used in this book. We don't have access to the specific variant of the dust jacket that has a cover price that's radically different to the regular version, and I don't expect that anyone in Indigo's warehouse knows (or cares) enough to do such a thing.

There's also the fact that Indigo sells books that are priced (MSRP) even higher than this release. I can go on their site right now and order a signed Spawn Omnibus from Todd McFarlane, an $800 coffee table book signed by one of Bowie's photographers or an omnibus for The Boys signed by Garth Ennis. They routinely sell products that run $500 and up.

Beyond this forum, there's a comparatively few number of people that know of or care that a signed Dylan book came out. The level of complexity needed to do such a thing is so remote that it begs skepticism.

Again, this is a problem that stretches up to Simon and Schuster, the ones that spearheaded and greenlit the book (and this release) in the first place. If they didn't check to know whether Dylan/his management signed the book and returned pages to them that may have been autopenned, they should absolutely be held to task.

I honestly think I am overreaching at this point as well.. but I felt it needed to be explored. It might be a .01% chance. But its still a possibility. 

who is the person  at Simon and Schuster's office that needs to be contacted?  Indigo may not knowif it is an autopen or not but S & S should know.  

https://www.simonandschuster.ca/about/contact_us

I'd start there - that's their Canadian office in Toronto. Links to customer service and issues.

Ive just created this thread, so all media is in 1 place and accessible. Please share with Indigo when you communicate with them

https://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/indigo-bob-dylan-po...

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service