We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hello everybody,

At the moment I have Two Vivien Signatures, Both from History. Direct, who is meant to be reputable and safe. This autograph does not come with a PSA/DNA so I have a few questions about its authenticity. They provide their own COA, which they say will pass any third party organization and if it does not they will refund the entire amount if it is within 10 years of the purchase.

This seems a little fishy but their items and reviews are mostly great so I'd genuinely appreciate it If anyone who jumps in on this chat could give their opinions on what's the safer choice. We're talking 600-1400$ Australian, so I really don't want to get this one wrong.

Clark Gable references are from Eaby, their sellers all have 100% reviews  

Also just found a Vivien signature on RR auctions going for big money, but seem's it is from the late '30s and pretty clean except for some light surface scuffing and minor creasing. top image

Thank you to anyone who replies and attributes to this page!

Daniel

Tags: #Clark, #Vivien, Gable, Leigh

Views: 1334

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you very much for linking the Clark Gable Item. But as Eric and steve pointed out, It could be hiding a few surprises. Have you checked out the letter I attached, which was supposedly signed in the 1930s? I would definitely appreciate your opinion on which of the two you'd personally put your money on to be more authentic. I know the letter was authenticated by JSA, but for the other item you attached, I am not sure how their COA's work. As for Vivien, I spent a large part of the day talking to Eric and he helped me choose the Vivien autograph, attached at the very top of the page. Let me know your thoughts, and thanks for helping out!

Both of those are printed images not real (lab) photographs and should be priced accordingly. They are paper of some sort. Book pages perhaps. Worst case is some sort of newprint-type thing. Neither have decent contrast. I'd keep looking. Something can be authentic but less than desirable or just not nice, so watch the prices as you look.

I believe everything you showed is authentic. HistoryDirect is very reputable but if they aren’t having a sale you will pay top dollar. I agree you should look for something a little more with the “Wow Factor”.

The Gable is not a photo of Gable. Pass.

The Leigh signed in felt tip is a lab photo is appears and reasonable if smudged. Most likely English PC size matte finish. The smudging is worse than shown IMO and there is a large bend right side top.

Last Leigh, with it's 6 sides and multiple glued on bits including a tightly clipped oddly shaped signature is certainly to be avoided. 

How much is being asked for the one signed in felt tip?

Hi Daniel,

All of the Gables look real to me. Gable's first credited movie role was 1931, so the signed envelope postmarked 1930 is likely from when he was on Broadway. It looks like a young lady from Penn. had the envelope with her when she was in New York and asked Gable to sign it there. 

History for Sale is an advertiser, as I'm sure you saw, but they wouldn't be here if I didn't think they were reputable. The vast majority of their autographs are from a huge collection the founder bought in 1980, taking the company public to do it. If you see something you like ask if they'll have it authenticated for you after you buy if you'll pay the fee, but get the fee back in your refund if it fails. They may do it.

As others said, they negotiate. If something is $1,000 you think it's only worth $700, make an offer. 

I agree with Eric that framed pieces can contain surprises—often not pleasant ones. But I'm with Nick Dimeo that Brandes Autographs is highly reputable. The framed photo and signed check that Nick pointed out is very nice: not canceled over the signature and it's clean. It doesn't look glued onto to the paper underneath but verify that.

Markus just ended his 15%-off on everything sale, so ask for the discount as a new customer. I wouldn't be surprised if he said yes. Markus is asking 650 Swiss Francs: $705 current rates. 15%-off would make it $599. I'd want to keep it framed since they did such a great job. 

"...the signed envelope postmarked 1930 is likely from when he was on Broadway. It looks like a young lady from Penn. had the envelope with her when she was in New York and asked Gable to sign it there..." - well spotted!

Thank you for your input, I appreciate your opinion. Eric guided me through some of the garbage I attached as a potential Vivien purchase and we came to agree that the very first Vivien reference at the top of the page is what I am gonna pursue. This is from History Direct, but he was very convinced It was a good clean signature and I am taking his word, let me know your thoughts. Do you personally trust their COA, or do you think It is essential I have a third party check it out? As for Clark gable, I am leaning towards the letter just because It is from the 30s, but It also looks clean and is authenticated by JSA. Which out of that item and the other Clark Gable framed picture would you suggest is a safer way to go. To get something definitely authentic, thank you for all the help! 

Daniel - 

With HistoryForSale, it's important that you really feel very secure with the authenticity of a piece based upon their supplied scans OR you are indeed going to submit it to PSA or JSA after receiving it if there is a question.  I'm not sure if they accept Beckett or not as their policies seem to go back to when their founder was still alive and Beckett is a newer kid on the block. 

A collector friend found out awhile back the hard way that they will not usually honor a return based upon an authenticity question that you personally may have after receiving the item or that another of your choosing who is not associated with JSA or PSA might have in looking at it in person.  There is nothing like seeing something in person but they seem not to agree with that in their policies.  If you look at their eBay listings, it does clearly state "Seller Does Not Accept Returns".  

This has not been my expeience at all with Russell at HD. Fine Dealer. You are always supposed to be on your toes with ANY source.

Glad to hear that.  I've have some great things from them as well over the years as I know others have.

More specifically to my point however, have they honored returns you may have had without a JSA or PSA rejection?  If so, that's good and important collector info. to have going forward with any potential purchases.  

Yes, they have. I've been a customer for years. Russell and his staff are fine people and no one packs better. I have never submitted anything to JSA or PSA anyway nor would I pay somone to have all the fun of the hobby.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service