American Royal Arts Fake Photos & the Originals

Seen on ABC News 20/20 and Inside Edition, Autograph discovered that American Royal Arts has been using photos altered to make it look as if celebrities are signing their questionably autographed guitars. This album contains the fake photos and the original signing photos their guitars were inserted into.

ARA president Jerry Gladstone claims that while the photos may be altered, the signed guitars are genuine, but spokespersons for the Eagles and Led Zeppelin disagree. Autograph magazine has never seen a signed guitar from ARA's supplier, Gallery of Dreams, that they thought was genuine. One of the executives listed on ARA's Executive Profiles page is the infamous forensic document examiner Christopher Morales, whose letters of authentication are widely considered a sign of forgery among autograph experts.

Comment by Andrew Killgallon on December 12, 2009 at 12:01am
A couple years back I have a run in with this company. I ordered a catalogue and it was hard to believe they had so many big ticket items. It was as if no mater what you were wanting, either alive or dead, they had it in the best condition. At the time I wasnt able to meet the prices they set and told them so the numerous times they called (sometimes more than once a day!). I dug some articles up online and found that I wasnt the only one seeing a flaw in this company. That was when Autograph Mag did an article on them and I knew I spotted fakes. When the owner of the company called me again to try and sell me several items, I told him I would never do business with a company that carried fakes and just as he did in the 20/20 report, he started argueing with me and almost starting a fight over the phone! He said that there was no way I was a serious collector and how I should be ashamed of questioning such amazing artifacts. I laughed and that was the end of that for me. I am so glad that these photos have come out and people actually know how horrible of a company this is. They treat people horribly, their business practices are flawed all around and above all, they make a joke out of what serious collectors and celebrities have been doing for many years. Thank you Autograph Magazine and Steve Cyrkin for putting this out there and exposing frauds!
Comment by Christopher Williams on December 12, 2009 at 4:58am
I enjoyed the reprimand given to Gladstone by the judge. It's about time that the "practices" done by many "autograph outlets" are finally relayed to the public. Although I was hoping the show would have gone into more depth about the actual autographs on those items. There was a point during the show when I thought they were going to mention the "authenticator's" name but it didn't materialize; that was disappointing. Well done by Steve.
Comment by Stephen Duncan on December 14, 2009 at 4:22am
I have been collecting autographs by each member of the band Eagles for 25+ years. The only time I have seen Henley sign a guitar, was at the KLSX record swap back on 12/7/1991, that he attended as one of the guest signers. He was there promoting his book "Heaven Is Under Our Feet" (the date my book is signed and the day I got two guitar's signed). Otherwise, I have seen him basically laugh at any one attempting to get a guitar signed by him. These days it is tough to get just about anything signed by him, unless you look like a tourist from out of town. ~~~~~~ As far as guitars, I broke down, pony'd up and did buy the one currently signed by all 4 on the Eagles website. $2700+ once you add tax and S&H.
Comment by Steve Cyrkin, Community Manager on December 14, 2009 at 5:35am
Every one of these guitars came from the supplier with authentication by Christopher Morales.If they had them authenticated by anyone else too I don't know.
Comment by Alex Krilov on December 17, 2009 at 4:42pm
I have similar problem with company Millionaire Gallery (www.themillionairegallery.com). Any comments on this company? They promise unconditional guaranty on their items, but when I asked to return item with Bruce Lee autograph, that I have a lot of doubts, they refuse to return money. How should I deal with them?
Comment by Josh Board on December 29, 2009 at 12:43am
Some of the items they had didn't really look authentic to me, even before the bogus photos came out. You always have to wonder...if someone has a signed thing by everyone (led zeppelin, who, doors, all the blues greats, etc).

Another thing collectors have to worry about and look out for: someone could have a REAL photo. And if they make a bunch of copies of the photo, well...they have photos to provide with the piece, that could be forged. Real photo, that they took (and didn't photoshop), but bogus autographs to go with it. A PHOTO DOES NOT EQUAL AUTHENTICITY.
Comment by Lucy Lu on January 3, 2010 at 7:35pm
Gladstone has been involved in a few lawsuits in the past...

From 1994:

www.signedrock.com/complaint/PDF/ARA%27s%2520Response%2520to%2520Au..." target="_blank">http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:1Hc6szqWVsQJ:www.signedrock.com/complaint/PDF/ARA%27s%2520Response%2520to%2520Au...

His synagogue should kick him out in Bocca.

Bubbie.
Comment by Steve Cyrkin, Community Manager on January 3, 2010 at 9:02pm
Bubbie, thanks, but those were links related to Gladstone's lawsuit against Frank Caiazzo and the Goldmine advertorial he published about me. What do you have from 1994? Thanks
Comment by Lucy Lu on January 11, 2010 at 11:09am
I will find those for you Steve.
Comment by Lucy Lu on January 11, 2010 at 11:12am
If I find info, I do not want it on any other site but here.

There are a few sites that tend to take stories from other sites, then claim them for themselves, which I find shameful.

You need to be a member of Autograph Live to add comments!

Join Autograph Live

PRIVATE SIGNINGS

Official Pix is offering a near complete Vacation cast signing with Chevy Chase, Beverly D’Angelo, Dana Barron & Randy Quaid, with Personalization, Character Name & Quote options! The order deadline for Chevy Chase is this Monday, Jan. 14. Send-Ins need to arrive by Jan. 16. The other signings will be in February & March. Go to www.OfficialPix.com now to see over 130 different photos & posters to choose from—or send your items in now!

Premier Collectibles, America's Largest Autographed Bookstore, is holding a Live Video Book Signing with Jackie Chan of the Hardcover Collectors Edition of his Book, Never Grow Up, on January 22 at 7PM ET. You can watch it live and ask a question that Jackie can answer during the signing. If you're a Jackie Chan fan you won't want to miss this!

STEINER SPORTS has relationships with thousands of athletes spanning every major sport. We bridge the gap between you and your favorite athletes. Want your ticket autographed by Stephen Curry? No problem. A personalized "Happy Birthday" photograph from Kristaps Porzingis? That can be arranged, too. See all the signings coming up between now and March 31 at Steiner Sports.com

Fanatics Authentic has exclusive autograph relationships with many of the biggest sports stars. We strive to bring you truly unique items and the highest quality collectibles on the market today. All of our exclusive player autographs are witnessed by a Fanatics Authentic Representative, ensuring that you receive a 100% genuine signature. View our entire roster of stars in all major sports at www.fanaticsauthentic.com/pages/Exclusive_Athletes.

Photos