We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Amazon.com Promoting Autographed Memorabilia....Derek Jeter Mickey Mantle Forgeries Found

I read an article yesterday about Amazon.com promoting autographed sports memorabilia. 

Of course when I scanned the Amazon site for autographs I immediately found a few forgeries, but what really shocked me this morning was the Amazon.com advertisement on the NY Post website.  Here's a screenshot of the first page I clicked on the NY Post website.

It's an advertisement for Amazon.com proudly displaying a Derek Jeter forgery.  Nice going Amazon!!! 

Here are some other forgeries I found on Amazon.com.

Tags: amazon, autographs, derek, forgeries, jeter, mantle, mickey, signed photos, sports collectibles

Views: 4322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That ball's taunting you, Chris. Just ignore it and maybe it'll go away.

I wrote about a suspect Amazon seller a few months ago here: http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/authenticgraph-on-am...

The problem with Amazon is that it is a reputable company and lends an air of credibility to the products offered there. Unlike ebay where people understand any yahoo with computer access can sign up and sell, I suspect many buyers are not aware that "outside vendors" may be the actual seller on Amazon. And apparently quality control is lacking.

Good points, Mr. Zipper.   And you're right, Amazon has been selling memorabilia for awhile now.   But when the various online articles wrote about Amazon making a push for a larger share of the memorabilia market, that's when I started scrutinizing the memorabilia side of their website.  Then, of course, I received that NY Post email and the Amazon advertisement showing that Jeter forgery.  Then I was reading Boston.com today and saw the exact advertisement showing the same Jeter forgery.

As we all know now, many of the autograph items being sold on Amazon have COAs from Chris Morales and Ted Taylor.  Quality control is definitely lacking.

interesting point.  during the chat discussion there were some questions as to whether or not it was AMAZON "selling" the item or a "SELLER" and AMAZON was acting as merely the order fulfillment agent.

interesting division of "responsibility" and "legality"

That's irrelevant in my opinion.  Amazon gets a piece of every sale and they are using the name Amazon to promote the items being on their website.  They are responsible in my opinion; especially when they are advertising Amazon with a photo of that repulsive Derek Jeter signed baseball.

don't disagree from my viewpoint either however a delineation in fact may exist and corporate lawyers can be very good at delineations.  I would find it unlikely if their "think tanks & legal beavers" haven't discussed these types of possibilities, ramifications, and actions.

Agreed, DB.  But let's examine the below Mickey Mantle signed 4X6 that is being sold under the Amazon.com name. And I hope Amazon is reading this thread because I want them to read this particular comment.   I challenge Amazon to take the below item and have it truly "forensically examined."   Take the time and small expense to have the below item truly "forensically examined." 

As for that Derek Jeter signed baseball that is in your advertisements; take that ball and send it to PSA and have them examine it for authenticity.   Amazon, do you really think I would have posted this thread without being 1000% certain?  I recall sending you (Amazon) an email about some of these same items during the past year.  Evidently my email was ignored.  Then during the past week you begin an advertising surge to grab a bigger share of the memorabilia market and, of course, I went to your website after seeing that Jeter signed baseball in your advertisement.

Amazon, did you have anyone with autograph knowledge scrutinize the autographs that are under your name on your website?  By now you also know that both Chris Morales and Ted Taylor (TTA and Stat Authentic) are on Ebay's "Banned COA" list.  There's a good reason why they are on Ebay's "Banned COA" list. 

Below is written under the below item:

Important Information

Seller Warranty Description
WE ASSURE 100% AUTHENTICITY. AUTOGRAPH HAS BEEN EXAMINED BY A QUALIFIED FORENSIC AUTHENTICATOR WHO HAS ISSUED A COA CERTIFICATE # AND MATCHING HOLOGRAM LABEL AFFIXED TO THE 4X6 PHOTO ATTESTING TO IT'S VALIDITY. PHOTO & SIGNATURE IS IN MINT CONDITION!

The above statement reads that Chris Morales is a "Qualified Forensic Authenticator."  Really?

You are not an auction site, Amazon, you are a online retail store.  The autographs I have posted here are being sold under the Amazon.com name.  Once again, I challenge you (Amazon) to take just one item (the one shown below) and have it "forensically examined."

http://www.amazon.com/MICKEY-MANTLE-AUTOGRAPHED-SIGNED-MATTED/dp/B0...

DB, did you mean "legal eagles"? What you wrote means something different entirely.

somehow putting them in the category of majestic and soaring high doesn't quite fit  -vs- the image of damaging pristine and clogging up the works.

This is disturbing. My second product review wasn't approved, and I followed all the rules: http://www.amazon.com/Game-Day-Mantle-Williams-Authenticity/dp/B001...

Certainly doesn't shock me.   Look at this crap I found.  Derek Jeter/Jorge Posada signed photo.  100% garbage!!!

Jeezzz...more like Jorge Podsada.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service