We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

I was browsing on Ebay yesterday, looking around the upcoming Elvis memorabilia auction being conducted by Graceland under the auspices of their "Graceland Authenticated" appraisal service, and found this:  

epgr_12.JPG 

The inscription is on a 1975 tour promotional photo. 

Here's the full listing:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Presley-Signed-and-Inscribed-1975-Sou...

It's a good example of an Elvis signature --but not by Presley himself.  It has numerous features indicative of a secretarial proxy signature... The smoother flow, the separation of the "P" from the "s", and the glaringly obvious large, loopy "y" at the end that almost appears like a fat, cursive "g".   

Examples of proxies like this show up all the time, and are usually the result of an item that had been mailed to Graceland by a fan in hopes that Elvis could sign it, which he only periodically did, while the bulk of the requests were filled by his secretarial staff...This is more than clearly one of them.   (Side note-- these items are not coming from Graceland's own collection, rather they're from private collectors who have arranged their listings to be part of the auction)   And unfortunately, as years go by and these make it to market, it's also obvious many of the owners who obtained them have gone all this time actually thinking they got back a true Presley signature.

What I'm really puzzled by is how this slipped by the estate's own authenticators, especially given the fact that in this same auction there are numerous genuine samples that show how starkly different this one is; even a non-expert could pick this out ...yet here it is, being offered with a start bid of $1,500 and their estimate of value at $3,000 - $5,000.   

Just putting this out there for thoughts, and to see if anyone knows who Graceland commissions to do their evaluations --it likely isn't Mr. Epperson or Mr. Consola --they'd laugh this off, I'm sure.   

How sad is it that the people responsible for conserving Elvis' own estate would allow an error this clear to take place?  

Tags: Ebay, Elvis, Graceland, autograph

Views: 3030

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On RACC.

Thanks

It's a misnomer that Graceland themselves is "authenticating" the pieces. I have spoken with the Archives a Director and can say that these items are being auctioned by a third party that has license to use the name. When possible or if asked to assist Graceland will help.

If you read the catalogue legal disclaimer you will see that neither Elvis Presley Enterprises, nor Graceland Authenticated assumes any legal responsibility.

The problem with this auction extends from autographs to multiple forged personal, and film wardrobe that have been floating around for the last 15 years which have ended up in this auction.

It's really pathetic that Graceland associates itself with this auction, has to tow the corporate line by not upsetting the auction house, only to defraud buyers in the end.

At least they pulled that horrendous jumpsuit after being flooded by calls, and even Gene Doucette the designer of his stage attire stated it was phony. These items should have been vetted well before the catalogue was printed.

Dan,

The third party that you were told holds the auction is Auction A Circle LLC, which is owned by most or all of the parties that run Graceland and own Elvis Presley Enterprises. They also own Graceland Authenticated.

BTW, all of the lots offered in the auction were authenticated by Graceland Authenticated.

As I said earlier, I can't imagine them knowingly selling pieces of questionable authenticity, signed or not. They just mustn't realize how hard it is to authenticate memorabilia.

Steve,

regardless of the motivation, and good intentions, they are still associating themselves with obvious forgeries in many cases, but since the uneducated will see the "Graceland" name, they will assume they are biding on authentic Elvis items, and a very heavy premium because of the name.

Some of the items are hard to authenticate, some are obviously authentic, some are obvious forgeries. it is all over the place.

Terrier,

I agree, it's a huge concern. My point is that it's a lot easier to get through to someone who wants to do the right thing than someone who doesn't care if what they sell is real or not. They seem to be deep in their learning curve, so I have hope. 

I emailed Graceland Authenticated Thursday with some specifics, but it was kicked back as spam, so I sent a general one asking for a phone number that hasn't been answered yet. So I connected with an Elvis Presley Enterprises exec on LinkedIn and wrote him Friday, but I haven't heard back from him yet, either. I am getting discouraged.

Steve, that is all you can do.  the efforts are greatly appreciated.

Great job Steve...

Please keep us posted!  Would love to hear them comment on it.

Mark

I understand what your saying, and I did contact the auction company who stated that they were a third party, as did the Graceland Archives.  So they each are claiming autonomy.  I am sure simple structuring.  Regardless there are still pieces that are obvious forgeries from clothing to signatures.

They would not disclose who they were using for authenticating through Graceland Authenticated, and the Archives Director told a friend of mine/ fellow collector of Elvis owned memorabilia that they only assisted when asked, and did not authenticate everything in the auction.

In the end the claims appear to be intended to drive prices, while each structure claims no liability.  No different that most auction houses that perform "due diligence".  Or their version of it.  Not everything is full proof, but to make claims on their you tube videos about "knowing Elvis's signatures, because we see lots of them" only to have such poor forgeries simply defies reasonable logic. IMO

I am not slamming EPE or any other auction house.  Its just a sad state of affairs, and reflective of today's markets/ and collectors.  Today's modern collectors all want the top autograph names, but seldom put the research into what that signature should look like. They rely on the auction house selling them authentic pieces.  

Thanks for all the replies, and now I've gone onto the main Auction site, and damn if there isn't another secretarial item, just as obvious as the other one:  

http://auction.graceland.com/1970_Elvis_Presley_Signed_Oversized_Co...

Unbelievable.... as I said up top, I don't get how supposed "authenticators" would allow things like that to get a pass.  Unless, of course, they're doing nothing to have them expertly scrutinized, and going mostly on the word of the consignor, which would be a travesty.  This is an embarrassment....Graceland need to seriously review who they're doing business with!

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Yep.......shameful.

$$ signs help ease the shame I am sure.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service