We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Okay, what do you think of this one? Could she be true - in this sig at least?

Views: 517

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for your efforts, guys, but I still don't have any clue why some of the shown pics are authentic and the others not.

Kai -  It may come down to if you yourself believe in it.  It looks like we're a not in a consensus here. 

Is it coming from a good source?

Hi Kai,

For me, the OP has a weird smoothness, some oddities in form and a somewhat exaggerated nature. As West is not rare and there is no rush why not look at more examples, see what you can, and wait for one you feel really good about?

There are observable differences in the signatures shown here - for example, the "To Roy" that Eddy posted from that problematic collection is the only signature shown here where the first and last name are connected ("e" to "W"). Is that unusual for her?

Thanks, Eric! That helps me to understand it a little better.

I'll definetely skip tth OP and I do have a beautiful signed pic. But I'm looking for an album page for matting with a favourite photo.

As far as I know it is unusual.

In these cases I don't know what to think of that: Would a forger do such an obvious mistake? Isn't it on the other hand a sign for a dynamic and fluent style of a person who is well familiar with this writing? Alas, is it a hint for a forgery or for an authentic example?

That always leaves me puzzled.

Hi Eric,

just for completeness: Markus Brandes offers a piece where "e" and "W" are connected. 

Was she signing "Sincerely" as "Sin-cerely" at this time or not? When did she start that?

I only know that usual joke from pics she signed in black felt tip in later years. But if these sigs are secretarial it might be her secretarie's joke ...

That is why I suggested starting a file with all known exemplars in date order. These patterns, signing habits, placement etc., and secretarials, will reveal themselves with enough exemplars. 

This doesn't look like Mae West to me. Markus is highly reputable and talented BTW.

It is complicated because RRauctions has thought that that style that Markus Brandes Autographs has is real as well:

https://www.rrauction.com/auctions/lot-detail/310829302972614-mae-w...

The source is an ebay seller I don't know, a private person.

Don't get me wrong: We may well be in a consensus. It's only that I have no idea how to differentiate authentic examples from fakes in these cases. With the first examples I understood that the liveliness and flamboyant style in comparison to the more clear and reduced style on the checks from later years made you consider. In your later pics I saw this flamboyant style as well.

That may be a question of when it was signed. But how do I tell good from fake when I have two flamboyant examples and  look strictly at the letters?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service