We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Has anyone ever heard of an authentication company called "Genuine COA"?  I do not ever recall coming across this name before.  They started advertising their COA's for this year's Wizard World Chicago Convention.  I've been to this convention the past couple of years, and this is the first time I've seen any third party authentication offered on site.  The service seems ok.  However, $25 per signature seems a bit excessive, especially for a company I've never heard of.

https://www.genuinecoa.com/index.php

Views: 1979

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I only trust PSA, JSA and Roger Epperson (REAL). And since joining this site my respect for PSA and JSA has started waning. I don't trust any of these "In Person" certs, sounds too much like a buddy system to me. Way too much seems fishy about all of this "In Person" or "Witnessed" crap.

They seem okay in that their business is "third party witnessing" only, not really "authentication" (i.e. send your items in after the fact).  But having a COA that no one's heard of hardly seems helpful down the road should you wish to sell the item.  The other problem is that most of the guests charge only about $20 - 30 for autographs at this thing, meaning you're effectively doubling the price of your purchase.  

that would be my take as well but they have to start somewhere.  Seems they are connected at the hip to the Wizard World convention sites and taking pre-orders.  Since they give the impression they are based in Mansfield Texas maybe roger has some info on them.

One troubling aspect is on the "contact us" page and the information that isn't provided;

https://www.genuinecoa.com/aboutus.php   the phone number incidently ties out to an Evelyn J Shadix also in mansfield texas but I presume it's not this sr. citizen involved in "witness" signings. or perhaps Christopher Owens who is much younger but none of the 4 possibles tie out to the listed address. 

Thus, some more info on the "contact us" would be beneficial as to whom it is especially with pre-orders.

You're absolutely right - every company needs to start somewhere. That being said, I would think the prices would be a tad bit lower. I think JSA only charges a fraction of that for their Witness Protection Program COA's. On the other hand, the logistics behind having a witness accompany you to any of the signings at this show could be bit complex. If they have to stand in line with you, there's a potential for them to be standing there a long time. I waited at least 2 hours for Christopher Lloyd last year and another hour for Julie Benz.

I actually applaud the effort overall. One of the biggest concerns I've heard among autograph collectors at these shows is that some of the autographs are a tad bit expensive (Scott Bakula, Patrick Stewart, William Shatner, Chris Hemsworth, etc) for having no COA and no ability to take a photo at the time of the signing. At least it gives us an option we didn't have before.

Last I knew Stewart was charging $70 so adding an "inperson" and it get's pricey real fast.  I hear ya on the Lloyd as at a show he was at this way it was upto a 4.5 hour wait depending where you were in the line.

If not attending then pre-ordering would be the way to go.  In some cases maybe if you were attending it might still be the way to go.

at a recent show there was jsa right across from PSA with their $9.00 -vs- %10.00 charge for show signings.  Never thought to press the ITP one with PSA as I had an LOA in process and didn't want to be running back and forth.   Still get a kick out of the behind the curtain at the PSA Booth.  I keep thinking the wizard is going to jump out at ya.

Having said that I'm such a skeptic that I'd like to see more information if I am pre-ordering and someone is going to have cc on file.  On the other hand it will be interesting to see how they are set0up at the show to provide their version of the ITP

Looks like they're taking pre-orders for the COA's themselves only, not the actual autographs.  Meaning you still have to show up to the event, even if the COA certification is prepurchased online.

Give 'em a call Rich & see how they pull it off as it has to be some interesting logistics.

You'd be in better position to call as you have been to the show and hve a visual of the operation.

Yeah, this could get a bit funky in a hurry.  For instance, if you're a wrestling fan and want both John Cena and CM Punk to sign your photo, you can do that at this show.  But if you throw in a COA, I could see things getting a bit messy, as Cena and Punk will be at the show on different days.

Looks like they were at the Philly Wizard World Con a couple weeks back.  I should see if I can find any scouting reports on how that worked out.

Good Idea - if you go this would be a great one to have (hint hint) & I see Patrick Stewart just signed on.  Imagine having all 5 captains presuming they all show!

We will be at the event and will accompany you to get this treasured autograph. By pre-ordering this COA (Certificate of Authenticity), you receive the following services;

• Witnessing service for the signatures of the four Star Trek Captains at the convention, on the same item at the same time on Friday, August 10, 2012 (autograph tickets each sold seperately)
  • Matching, custom, tamper-evident, serialized, holographic stickers placed on both the item signed and the Certificate of Authenticity issued to you
  • All signing details (place, date, event, etc.) entered into online database searchable by the unique serial number
  • Notarized Affidavit from the witness publicly filed

I'm actually jealous of Wizard World Austin - full Star Trek:TNG reunion.

I've never heard of them either

Rich, are u going as it's around the corner?

I did hear back from one of the promoters; Genuine COA is a service to authenticate an autograph once you get it signed.   There was no further detail on exactly "how" this is accomplished. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service