We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi everyone. I bought a a Temple of Doom poster about 15 years ago signed by Harrison Ford & Steven Spielberg at an estate sale. The poster was rolled up & stored in a tube. Obviously no COA. It looks like both signed using a silver paint pen. Hoping someone with knowledge of these signatures can give me an opinion on them both. Thanks!

Tags: Ford, Harrison, Spielberg, Steven

Views: 3451

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'll upload a photo of the entire poster later so you can see size & placement of both signatures. Pete & Dan, who would you recommend to submit it to for a COA? I'll never sell it, but for insurance purposes I think it would help to have it authenticated. Thanks a ton everyone.

If you do not plan on selling it, don't bother spending the money to get it authenticated. The Spielberg being as strange as it is .... it would be a 50/50 coin toss from JSA or PSA DNA. 

Then you have the headache of wondering who at each company would be making the final call. If JSA actually used the guys they claim to,  JD Bardwell (their modern celeb expert) would be given the task, and if JD had any question, he would shoot me an email.

Steve Grad at PSA DNA will know the Ford is real, and if he had any questions, he too could email me.

The problem comes from the people working at borh companies who think they can authenticate something like this without the guys that should be doing the job.

All that being said the Spielberg is so out of the ordinary, that I don't see either company or either expert just calling it real......which leaves you with an expensive COA that at best will claim half the piece is real.

Enjoy your poster, don't waste good money for nothing.  

Please understand when I say they can email me, I am not blowing smoke. I have checked countless Star Wars and especially Harrison Ford autographs for both JD and Steve over the years. I have known JD for about 20 years and Steve for well over a decade. I count both among my friends in this hobby.

Thanks Pete. Solid advice. I was just concerned about a COA for insurance purposes, but I agree with you. Guess I'll get it re-framed and put it on the wall. Thanks again for the insight.

Too bad pete doesn't issue COAs. Ive seen similar Fords. Maybe the silver pen makes it look more off. Spielberg cant comment on.

If anyone still has a question on the Ford, I suggest you check into the group "The Evolution of the Celebrity Siganture". Pete has done a signature study on Ford that's pretty amazing. Do yourself a favor and check it out. You'll understand why the best in the industry seek Pete's advice.

The pen absolutely makes a huge difference. The rounded fat tip paint pens do not allow you to come to the same sharp points that a extra fine tip or ball point will make.

Harrison sitting down to a signing will likely leave sharper edges in his signature, moreso than when he is standing in a crowd or signing a single piece without a table or desk to rest upon. That goes for any autograph signer.  

That's what I think a lot of people forget. The condition in which they(athlete, actor, actress,etc) are in make a huge difference in how they sign.

They had an article in the New York Tymes earlier last year on how athletes ask other athletes for a better auto than what they give the normal joe. It was a short article but interesting that it was in the NY Tymes
I've seen and got both of these two guys numerous times.. 9/10 it's just an experience/gut feeling on something.. In this case both are 100% genuine. I defer to Pete in being the resident expert but it just looks like Ford. As far as Speilberg goes, yes it's a bit strange but not overly so. Even looking at the flow of the signature it's got decent speed (tramlines), pauses of the pen in the right places.. And missing, what is usually present in fakes it would be too 'loopy'.. As in too circular.
So I say congrats on such a lovely piece.. :)
If you feel like parting with it I'd definitely be interested!
Thanks everyone. I'm really happy to know that the consensus is positive. I was a young teenager and didn't know much about autographs back when I bought this, but I always felt pretty good about it. I had it framed with regular glass back in college and it's never been displayed - always kept it in the closet as I moved around. Now that I know for certain it's authentic I'll frame it properly.

Timothy, I've never thought about selling it, but I guess depending on what it's worth I might consider it. Any idea on value?

Here's a picture of the entire poster. Sorry about the glare - it's still framed with regular glass so the glare is unavoidable.
Attachments: No photo uploads here

Devon, you really should have this piece authenticated.  Sorry.

Why? Save your money, Devon, and let quick opinion settle it if it really is that important (or if you really trust "professional" authenticators). I think you got some tremendous insight for free. Cost $15 vs $150. http://www.psacard.com/store/t-quickopinionebay.aspx#ebay

In addition to that, don't do it at all if you are happy with the piece and don't plan on selling it. It sounds like your pretty satisfied with the info you've gotten this far, however.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service