We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I have bought autograph's which I have no idea how to frame yet. How long can I leave them out? I keep them in a drawer, protected, but I know I can't keep them like that forever. Is there a better way to keep them from fading etc. for a while until I can frame them?

Thanks

Views: 2742

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I just bought a pack of Amazon.com.
I have to say its a pain in the backside to pull a framed item apart to replace it in another top loader because i dont know if its pvc free or not.
Does anyone have any photos of the damage pvc does to autograph?

Plasticized PVC as used in collecting supplies makes the sheet or page more flexible (like you would find in pages for a 3 Ring binder.)

Plastics are an oil based product, and as time goes by that plastic wants to revert to it's original form, oil. The PVC then starts to "grease" up, it starts to get slimy and wet, that greasy film transfers to whatever is touching it.

The slime is of course oil based, so it doesn't just wipe away, it can and will leave greasy wet stains on your items.....it's like using a signed photo as a placemat under some nice hot  french fries.

PVC damage is most often seen on trading cards that were in screw down holders and coins stored for long periods in PVC flips.    

pvc damage to photos - Google Search

Thanks Mr. toploader......

How long did it take to cause this damage?

Timing can be short term or over long periods ......Old PVC holders can cause damage in just a few years, others it can take decades.

Toploader damage can happen in a day if there is room for the photo to slide back and forth inside the holder. Especially if you are transporting items to shows or anything like that, the more motion causes the photo to slip back and forth that much more.

Paint pen signatures can be the worst, but you will see scrapes across sharpie signatures just as easily if there is movement.  

Hi Paul, All,

Thanks to all for the additional information.

No photos Paul, but the worst I have seen are from the late 80's/early 90's re soft sleeves with PVC, the "cloudy" type Steve mentioned. The result I saw, after long term storage, was an oily, slimy mess inside the sleeves coating the photos. It was awful.

This is a good and useful/practical thread - I have been discussing this topic in PM for the last week or so and am happy to see the same brands and ideas/methods mentioned here. Re what plastic are TPG using, I looked and saw a bit of info online from a coin slabbing company that likely uses the same material for other collectibles - it is what Steve and Pete are saying.

Eric

Collecting Is hard work but preservation is harder. Really practical thread ,Eric.

Not to play with your "pain" but, if the item is in a frame, why in the world would you have it in a toploader?

As Steve mentioned earlier in this thread long term storage in any kind of toploader is not a good idea.

If the item is matted with some space between it and the glass, the last thing you want to do is have the signed item against a topload inside the frame.  

Just so i didnt have to place any tape on it because the autographs go right to the edge of the paper and couldnt be matted in without covering the autographs.

Just one more suggestion before I go to bed......I know you have frame shops down under, just pop into one and tell them you need some spacers. Something to keep the photo away from the glass.

Glass goes into frame,  spacers go in at edges (away from graphs,) then photo goes in (without toploader,) then the backer, and you now have space between the pic and the glass, and you can avoid using the toploaders.  frame spacers - Google Search

Cool thanks Pete. Im just making a copy and im going to store the original safe and sound. Its not worth fng with because its a rare graph.

Absolutely, if it is something that you don't want to risk messing with.....I 100% support the copy idea.

My Ralph McQuarrie (Star Wars concept designer) doodle of R2 D2 is something I look at every day, best inexpensive photocopy ever. The original resides safely in the vault. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service