We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Found this eBay listing from Jeffery Hunter, Captain Pike from the original Pilot episode of Star Trek. What do we think of the signature/worth buying? 

Here’s the listing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295659088538?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkri...

Views: 1144

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Didn’t you say you thought it was real? 

No, I did not.

"It would be good to have more exemplars."

"I think it may be, yes."

Rather loose? What do you mean?

In execution.

Thanks!

You're welcome!  It's one of those pieces that you have to do too many comparison gymnastics with to try to find any possible typical features on something dedicated to a supposed "old friend".

Again, pricey for something that's 'off' in many respects.

A very interesting comparison. Now I will say I think it is authentic. Way too much going on here. Looking at the relationships and angles - the first "e's" and the "y"'s.

Click for larger image - this is the orientation I should have posted.

Well, I'd differ on this thought.  It's using the "To Henry" signed piece from above to compare the OP with.  I don't believe that one is real either. 

I think that both of these examples may be the work of his spouse at the time who was apparently signing for him when health problems were arising.   It's close, but is a different hand than his.  Digitally flipping pieces upside down and all around can help in comparing and contrasting.... just probably best to use a comparison example that is more indisputably authentic. 

I disagree re this method of observation - when I showed Bill White this technique he was amazed and reversed his opinion on an item instantly. There is no way I know of to produce a forgery by hand that will have this amount of fluid correlation in angles, spatial relations and so on when viewed in this way. If this is his wife I can't address that. It is to me the same hand - whose...

That is not a hesitation mess between the two "f's", that is the convergence of three strokes.

Please understand that I'm not saying that flipping digital images around and comparing/ contrasting is a bad method.  It's great and I've done it myself for years as well as have other collectors/dealers I've worked with.  It's literally studying pieces in tandem from all angles!

My only point is that it's kind of futile to use two different more atypical pieces (that admittedly have striking similarities) to attempt to prove that something is authentic.  It's kind of like trying to find another atypical example that matches up to my atypical example and saying these are real.

Specifically to this discussion: Two from Jeffrey Hunter's wife similarly rotated are going to look pretty darn close to one another as opposed to comparing one actually from his hand to one of hers. 

I may not be as clear as I could be perhaps.  It would be like looking at two Marilyn Gleason pieces both upside down that are spot on with each other and saying because they look alike, it's proof that it's actually The Great One himself signing.  Two wrongs don't make a right....if that makes any sense.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service