We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

On December 2, Julien's Auctions is selling The Collection of Tompkins and Bush. The collection contains 465 lots of Michael Jackson memorabilia, 287 of them autographed.

Michael Bush and the late Dennis Tompkins were Michael Jackson's costume designers for 25 years, during Jackson's most successful period. They were the consignors of the signed Thriller jacket that Julien's sold for $1,800,000 in June 2011.

Almost all of the autographs in the Tompkins and Bush sale are a variation I'm not familiar with. I've only been looking at Jackson's autograph for a few years, though, and we have members here who have collected him for decades, so I'd appreciate your input and exemplars.

If you know Michael Jackson's autograph well, please look at a few images below from the auction and let me know what you think. Even better, browse the auction and upload any similar examples you have: http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/77/

Julien's is the world's premier auction house for Michael Jackson memorabilia, so they would know his autograph better than most of us. I'm just surprised I haven't seen this style before.

Thanks for your help.

Tags: 2012, Julien's, auction, michael jackson, tompkins and bush

Views: 130227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Update to my stating that I've only seen MJ use the regular lower case "e" inside of a word.  As a rule, that's still true.  Though in the "Emergency" example I posted above, he does use the regular capital E inside the words "Credits" and "He".  

Still, I've not seen him use the backward 3 style E in any word as a lower case "e".  Such as in "Dennis" or "Yes.

Odds are there's one out there.  But in the mass produced percentages seen in the Julien-Bush auction??  Seems we haven't found that to be the case in known MJ style of signings.

Thank you Roger and Charlotte :)

This was supposedly signed by Michael Jackson in July 2002, can i have an expert and fan opinion please on the signature and initials. Thank you. Oh, i have tried to take out the text,

That signature's good! I saw one very similar on one of Jackson's wills.

Steve, does that mean the initial are authentic too, all these were taken from the same document, signed in LA at a time when Michael is proved to be in NY? I would love Rogers input on this too. TY

Team MJ,

I'm not a handwriting expert, and I've made it clear that this is an autograph site, not a Michael Jackson conspiracy site. But I know you're heart is in this fight and you only want to help MJ's family. So I spent the last hour going over MJ's initials in the will and compared them to known, rock-solid exemplars from handwritten MJ pieces we have to see if I could come to a conclusion. I could.

The Ms of the MJ initials you posted from the will are very similar to the Ms in these four handwritten Michael Jackson pieces I have: Lyrics to "We Are The World," "Beat It" and "I'll Do Anything For Money" written for David Gest or for a mutual friend of theirs while MJ was with Gest. And then notes MJ wrote for an unveiling of some sort. I don't know the details.

The Ms in all four pieces look consistent with each other, as is the writing in the notes overall.

And yes, I strongly feel that the Ms in those pieces are consistent with the Ms of the MJ initials in the will. Keep in mind that initials in wills and other legal docs are often signed very quickly, but it's easy for me to see in most if not all of them that they have Michael Jackson's characteristics.

Here are all the words starting with M from each piece:

Bad:

We Are The World:

I'll Do Anything For Money:

Public Unveiling:

Regarding the concerns of many that Michael Jackson was in New York on July 7, 2002 and not in Los Angeles:

I've signed many legal documents over the years and I can tell you that it's not rare for one or more signers to be in a different place than it says on the finalized document. Happens all the time. Michael Jackson didn't say he was in Los Angeles. He wasn't asked that. Only the date. And frankly, I'm not sure that the date is in Jackson's hand. It's not unusual to have the date, place, the signer's title, if any, etc., added by a lawyer or secretary. It's completely legal as far as I know, unless the signature is being notarized, which this will was not.

It was just signed by three parties under penalty of perjury as being true and correct (which means there are true and correct signature and initials of Michael Jackson on an unaltered document). 

What probably happened was that Jackson either signed it before he left for New York, or he signed it on July 7, 2002 in New York and FedExed it back to Los Angeles. The three witnesses aren't saying they saw it signed. They're saying it's true and correct and executed on that date. 

Furthermore, if Jackson was in New York when he signed it and the document was dated as being signed in New York, it could have made his will subject to jurisdiction in two states, particularly if he lived part time in New York then.

I not a lawyer or legal expert, but any lawyer that has a client sign a will likely to be contested like Jackson's obviously would, since he excluded everyone but his mother and children, needs to be especially careful to make sure jurisdiction is clear. The jurisdiction fight alone could take years and tie everything up. So it makes sense that the will had to be officially executed in one state: California, since that was Jackson's home and center of operations since the 1970s.

Paths in life are often full of surprises. When I bought Autograph Collector it was for the challenge of making a dull magazine fun and exciting for collectors. I never realized that we'd end up being a leader in the fight against forgeries.

I think the path of your fight against the will is similar. If you weren't there to watch anything and everything Michael Jackson, some one, or some ones, would have likely have gotten away selling millions of dollars in fraudulent memorabilia to the fans who love Michael until it was too late to do anything about it.

Team Michael, you have fought tooth and nail to protect Michael Jackson's legacy and his relationship with his fans. Nothing Michael Jackson is worth more. 

Thank you Steve, im sorry you spent so much time researching the similar "M's" sigh,,, , . Nevertheless the present attorney was fired for embezzlement in 03, so should never have had this document in his possession as he was demanded to to forward all docs to MJ's new attorney.. But thats another story, Thank you for your kind words Steve, touché.

No more from me on this, just that i will expose him, truth runs marathons,,

First: Thanks Steve for all of your thoughtful work on the M compares and your encouraging, considerate words to us advocates.

Held back for a bit to see what others would say. I've stated what I think about this. Putting all "politics" aside and speaking just on the observation of the signature example.. I have not to date seen one other genuine Michael Jackson signature in which he creates such a unfamiliar shaping in the L in Michael and the J in Jackson. I've not seen one other authentic MJ in which the L swoops connected into the J, with the J ending in an abrupt, rigid little rounded fish hook. When MJ first passed away, before I ever even began working toward justice, I first had to catch up on MANY years of research regarding Michael Jackson. And so I delved. One of the first things that screamed out to me was that signature. For the reasons I mentioned.

Even IF the signature rang true.. In the Photoshop Age, seems to me it would be essential for an ethical, professional handwriting and document authenticator to study and evaluate this in person. To date, I believe that eventuality has been repeatedly blocked. (okay, I got a little political).

I do question how three parties could declare under penalty of perjury that there are true and correct signature and initials of Michael Jackson on an unaltered document unless they either witnessed MJ sign in person or are expert authenticators of Michael Jackson's signature. If MJ mailed any will back to Los Angeles, it should have been relinquished by the lawyer who presented it after June 25, 2009, as he was fired in 2003 and ordered to hand over all documents. But then, Michael Jackson the perfectionist would never have treated something as important and official as his will in such a happenstance manner. Everything would have been done in person - so MJ himself could oversee it.

Done and done.

Again, I've never seen that L into J fish hook manifestation in any other genuine Michael Jackson signature. Let's all look for one!

And the truth wins marathons! GO TEAMMICHEAL777 & HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Thank you Brian, and a very Happy New Year to you and your family. God Bless.. Please visit our site for more info on our work. http://teammichaeljackson.com/

Juliens Music Icons auction - June 25, 2011 -

More examples of the $1.8M Thriller jacket signature style.

Lot 514  - MICHAEL JACKSON SIGNED POSTER.  Sold for $1,664.

"A British promotional poster with "Poster No 4 Michael Jackson" printed at bottom featuring an image of Jackson from the Bad era. The poster is signed in silver marker "Love Michael Jackson."  33 by 23 1/2 inches"

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/26/lot/7496/

Lot 526  - MICHAEL JACKSON SIGNED POSTER.  Sold for $2,048.

"A British promotional poster featuring Michael Jackson performing, signed in black marker "Love Michael Jackson."  33 by 23 1/2 inches"

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/26/lot/7508/

Lot 555  - MICHAEL JACKSON SIGNED HAT.  Sold for $2,560.

"A black cotton baseball cap with MJJ Productions printed logo, braided rope band, signed in silver marker "Love Michael Jackson."

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/26/lot/7537/

Lot 566  - MICHAEL JACKSON SIGNED HAT.  Sold for $2,304.

"An plum and grey baseball cap with embroidered "MJ" logo from the 1997 - 1998 HIStory World Tour. The hat is signed on the brim in black marker "Love Michael Jackson."

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/26/lot/7548/

Lot 574  - MICHAEL JACKSON SIGNED CONCERT POSTER.  Sold for $4,480.

"A black and white poster promoting Michael Jackson's 1997 HIStory Tour shows at St. Jakob-Park in Basel, Switzerland. The poster is signed in silver marker "Michael Jackson."  23 1/2 by 16 inches"

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/26/lot/7556/

Lot 575  - MICHAEL JACKSON SIGNED POSTER.  Sold for $2,560.

"A British souvenir poster featuring an image of Michael Jackson performing during the HIStory Tour, signed in black marker "Love Michael Jackson." 13 1/2 by 19 inches"

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/26/lot/7557/

And of course, this is the auction where Darren, Tompkins and Bush sold an American cultural treasure.. (after someone graffitied it).

Lot 493  - MICHAEL JACKSON VIDEO WORN "THRILLER" JACKET.  Sold for $1,800,000.

"A black and red calf leather jacket with "Marc Laurent Paris" label featuring silver buckles at cuff, red silk lining, trapunto stitched collar, snap front closure and signature winged shoulders. The jacket is inscribed on the inside lining in black marker, "To Bush and Dennis All My Love Michael Jackson." The sleeve is additionally signed in black marker "Love Michael Jackson." ....

This jacket was given by Michael Jackson to his longtime costume designers Dennis Tompkins and Michael Bush, or just "Bush" as Michael called him. Jackson brought this jacket to Tompkins and Bush to be used as a reference for all of the subsequent concert versions of the "Thriller" jacket they would in turn make during their decades of working exclusively for Jackson. When he first brought it to them, they reportedly asked if he could really dance freely in the jacket, to which Jackson incredulously replied, "Have you seen the video for 'Thriller'?" Clearly, Jackson performed some of the most iconic choreography of our time in that video, without difficulty, while wearing the jacket. At a later date, Jackson officially gifted the jacket to the designers, at which time he added the inscriptions to the left sleeve and interior lining."

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/26/lot/7475/

P.S. - A personal note to Julien's and Michael Lee Bush: I'm "incredulous" of your above purported tale considering Mr. Bush, that you claim in your book MJ felt constricted in other designers' creations and that you repeatedly told him you could make all his garments better than any other designer.  So was MJ comfortable in the iconic Marc Laurent leather Thriller jacket or was he not?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service