We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

NOT AUTOGRAPHS - but Three Stooges Collectible Candid Performance Negatives

Hi, I understand that we are not really supposed to branch out in to other areas from autographs, but I was hoping to get some advice from the "collector" community.  I came across an old box of photos and negatives. In it I found three negatives that I remembered from when I was a kid. My grandmother took these photos of the Three Stooges performing on stage - I have no idea where or what timeframe.  I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to where to go if I were to sell these. I know there is a market for Stooges collectibles and I thought that original, unpublished performance negatives may be of value.  Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated. Ebay ? Auction house ? Value ?  I have no idea where to begin. Thank you in advance for your help ! Rfitzz

Views: 661

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would remove these from here and only show watermarked low res or they will be swiped and used online quickly. This has happened to me time and again. Small image becomes a book cover...Yes, they are of value and interest. You can establish a date with the code/data on the edge of the film strip - there are markings there that will align to a manufacturing date code you should find online. My guess is m,id 1960's. That Curly Joe seems to be there also gives a window. A larger auction house - in tandem with a set of sigs would be awesome. Just do not share anything larger w/o marking them - they will spread like fire. I can't guess on value - my experience is with other celebs and 1939 NYWF Kodachrome/Cunard ocean liners etc. 

Eric, thank you so much... I didn't even think of that !  I appreciate your help.  I've changed it out for a smaller water marked version, hopefully before anyone grabbed it.  I appreciate you looking out for me and the info, I will begin my homework now.  Please let me know if the attached photo is suitably protected enough.  Thanks again.

Hello, my pleasure. The attached looks fine. It is a wonderful find you have there. Handle the negs with cotton gloves only and don't let them anywhere near a photo shop - they will be swiped (assuming the 14 year old working the counter recognizes them ;) ) They can be stored in glassine envelopes for now.

Thanks again, I have them stored carefully right now.  Also, changed the watermark to white to allow for a little more visibility of the photos themselves.  Whew...glad you caught this first !  Thank You !

Most welcome :)

In case this got lost in the shuffle yesterday - cause there were quite a few good discussions happening - hoping to find some knowledgeable people regarding Three Stooges.  Unfortunately, I am having zero luck on the web finding previously sold "like" items and placing any kind of timeframe for these photos. I'm shocked there is not more out there regarding live performances from the stooges and / or candid photos.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

The edge code did not lead to a date? I have been dating Kodachrome 8c10 transparencies with codes going back to 1939/40. My 35mm Lugosi reels of the master print (and Ed's/Weiss's copy) of Glen or Glenda? clearly says "DuPont 52" all along the edge by the sprockets. You are likely looking for a series of symbols, not a numericall date. What are you seeing on the edge? Are they copy negatives? Do you see emulsion lines? Have you searched for Stooges websites and collectors? Re time frame, they have to be after "Curly Joe" was there, and there are other clues. Have you searched Pintarest and everywhere else for photographs of them performing live so you can get a feel for the period? Even the clothes might help. What about YouTube? Did you try writing the right folks at this or that auction house asking for a lead? Have you searched for websites and written with questions? 

Eric, can find any info regarding the edge code.  They are original negatives as far as I can tell and are consistent with the ton of others that I have stored (old family photos, etc.).  Here is the code:

OK. What size are thses by the way?

Try writing "Tom" at the following:

Kodak Date Numbers etc.

I found that website and will write him, thank you.  As far as size, I'm not good at this, they are square and appear slightly larger than 35mm negatives...still trying to figure that out.  Thanks for all your help.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service