We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

NOT AUTOGRAPHS - but Three Stooges Collectible Candid Performance Negatives

Hi, I understand that we are not really supposed to branch out in to other areas from autographs, but I was hoping to get some advice from the "collector" community.  I came across an old box of photos and negatives. In it I found three negatives that I remembered from when I was a kid. My grandmother took these photos of the Three Stooges performing on stage - I have no idea where or what timeframe.  I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to where to go if I were to sell these. I know there is a market for Stooges collectibles and I thought that original, unpublished performance negatives may be of value.  Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated. Ebay ? Auction house ? Value ?  I have no idea where to begin. Thank you in advance for your help ! Rfitzz

Views: 661

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My pleasure :)

here is the Rocky Point appearance:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-Stooges-Autograph-w-Moe-Howard-Lette...

Again, different outfits, and it was 1967.  Interestingly, Larry had to leave the tour as his wife died suddenly from a heart attack and he returned to California. Moe and Joe continued on without him...

I've been searching everywhere, Stooges sites, youtube, pintrest, etc. and haven't come up with nothing.  There is a Stoogeum  https://stoogeum.com/ and I was planning to email the curator.  They have costumes on display from a 1960' appearance that look nothing like mine (my pictures have them wearing tuxes with tails) although the location, I believe, is in the right area, northeast US.  I've only really been able to find vintage posters for their appearances. I did find some b+w photos and autographs from a Rocky Point, NY appearance (mine are color) but, again, different outfits.  I've been reading a history of stooges and I think you are right as far as timeframe because Curly Joe Derita was part of the group then. My homework continues... 

The costumes don't match in the 1962 photo of them performing live that I linked to? I think that was in my guessed date-range?

They do match - you have your negatives backwards BTW. So, 1962 is the window...now I'd look for mention of live appearances in those years in the correct location.

just realized that mine are backwards as the flowers on their lapels are on the opposite side as well... lol

Just saw that link and, Yes, they do match. Appears to be a different venue ( mine has a stripped tent-like ceiling) though I think we are narrowing down the year at least as I have other negatives in that bunch that are definitely the 62-65 timeframe.  Thank you !!!

You are very welcome. Looking at the 1967 and their ages and sizes, I think closer to 1962. Good luck :)

Freedomland, NY Early 1960's would be my guess. This or something close to it. A lot going on in NE because of the 1964/65 NYWF. Freedomland closed in September 1964 I believe.

Three Stooges at Freedomland

Freedomland Stage details

PS - If that is Freedomland you have a second avenue of sales/interest - there are folks that collect Freedomland as I collect the 1939 NYWF etc.

If you reverse yours and compare with this photo linked below it may well be Freedomland? The bunch up awning along the sides etc? Are there other images with these that could help pin the location?

Getty Images Mary Wells at Freedomland by M. Ochs

This is about as far as I can take this. Perhaps not Freedomland but darn close in space and time. Good luck! :)

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service