We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Would it be possible for this site to host a reference listing of authenticators who are believed to be accurate vs. authenticators believed to be bogus? I collect sports autographs and I have learned through this forum and trial and error that certain COAs (JSA, PSA/DNA, Steiner) tend to be more reputable while others (ACE, STAT, GAI, PAAS) tend to be fraudulent. I am sure that there are some legal ramifications of such a listing, but I think it would help newcomers have a greater sense of security and enjoy the hobby more.

I welcome everyone's thoughts.

Views: 2676

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If it's one of those simple level polls you are suggesting then I'd agree.

I was thinking of a more advanced type evaluation that exists in a number of places,,,

since psa/dna nor jsa actually identify who the authenticator is it is made much more difficult in many ways to assess historical -vs- today as compared to our non-existent Nicholas Burczyk COAs.

Too bad DOLOs is down as their "dealer" rating seemed to have similarity to EBAY's seller ratings (w/o the subcategory ratings; price, communication...)

I see the need for a system to rate authenticators.  However, might I suggest a different approach.  If I were to simplistically break down autographs into 5 categories: Celebrity, Music, Sports, Historical and Political who would you take an item to if it was outside your "comfort zone".  For example, a collector who has great knowledge of political autographs wants to buy a John Lennon item, a Marilyn Monroe cut and a Christy Mathewson item.  Who would you reccomend for the Lennon and who for the Mathewson and who for the Monroe.  In other words, who do you feel most comfortable with (and it can be different people for different areas)?   This way there's no bashing the poor ones.  We're just listing our favorites.  Seems more politically correct to me. 

Me too. I think Richard's tops.  I don't think I expressed my question correctly.  I stated in a blog re: Mariano Rivera that education is the best weapon for not being taken.  I think we both agree on that.  However, I've occasionally come across an opportunity to buy something I'm not familiar with while pursuing something I am (eg. looking at some baseball items and the person says "by the way, I also have this JFK signature" .  Wow, I would like to add that JFK bumper sticker to my collection but I don't have time to bring myself up to speed on this.  I really didn't mean putting a sticker on it, I meant someone we feel confident in taking a look at it to help me decide good or bad.  I think a huge number of collectors don't feel expert in everything.  A few dollars spent with someone you have confidence in could save you big$.  If it comes with his/her letter, better yet but the most important thing is I have to have trust in him/her.

I understand the prudence of passing.  Unfortunately, I'm someone who is doubtful the item may pass his way again and I hate to let every one walk.  Oh well, I'm not adverse to asking for help in a pinch. 

I agree, Doug. More than that, rate them by era, too.

We all know that we can't possibly know it all.  The worst scenatio is someone starting out and getting burned.  It sadly would turn them off for a lifetime.  There's a wealth of knowledge around and direction to guide.  Just have to get the info out there.  Harry is right that the nore opinions the better but when someone asks WHO we can maybe advise with a couple of names.

Rating by era is definitely the way to go.  Probably a monumental task but we could start with one area first, divide it up and solicit opinions.  At least its being proactive rather than trying to list the jerks (because new ones spring up all the time!) and we would be constantly adding to it.

That would work. We need people heading the project who are as unbiased as possible, but know what they're dealing with and the project's goals.

This is a project I'll provide tools and some guidance for, but it needs to be powered by collectors and dealers. It needs to empower collectors most of all.

Still think you should see if yor tekiie weenies can add software like DOLOS and so many other have where individuals (collectors, dealers) can apply their own rating w/commentary.  That way we are not dealing with lists.

we are never going to eliminate the bias or perspectives (good or bad).  But when you read someone's comment(s) one should be able to determine if others willuse it.  

Absolutely.  It also shouldn't be a rush to judgement.  I think a brainstorm among those heading the project first, perhaps followed by a full discussion on the board for a limited time (Comments like "knows his stuff on this") and then back to the committee for a list of that subject and then on to the next area.  How does that sound? I understand what DB is saying but we want to keep the list short yet we need a mechanism to add someone who comes on the horizon.

perhaps we have a listing of places...as well as authenticators   I suspect however based on "categories" everyone's list would most likely be different.

We should have a list of places to be exceptionally aware of ... as in caveat emptor really appies;  Or better yet, just stay far far away (unless you really know what you are doing).

Just a list off the top of my head... maybe there are three categories as in the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

In the Ugly Category off the top;

autograph guys

coach's corner LLC

signature of dreams

tradera.com

CSC Collectibles

autographs america

showcase authentics

Playball authentics

Places gone but Not Forgotten;

ARA types...

Then a group for a middle grouping that is not as bad as the above but like any other place caveat emptor still applies... although there are a number "authentic" items contained you just have to do your homework.  This would most likely be the largest grouping and as such might need some breakouts based on the entries.

EBay for example IMO fits here

Followed by a grouping of places that seem to be better (doesn't mean they don't make mistakes but the "odds" might be on your side).  Still need to do your homework but typically authentic but "caveat emptor"  is still in play.

Mounted Memories

Tri-Star

Steiner

autograph pros

This may actually be a good idea.  However, the issue of HOW to implement may be a bit tricky.   I think the majority of the "experienced" collectors and dealers are well versed on WHO has the more consistent reputations.  HOWEVER, I would NOT refer to others as "fraudulent".  There is a big difference between fraudulent and less-competent.  When I think of fraudulent I think of someone knowingly selling forgeries.

Maybe the first step in the Planning phase is to establish a baseline/benchmark.  And the best way to do this is maybe the old fashioned democratic process of a majority vote.  Else, we'll be spinning our wheels forever with flailing opinions.   There will always be dealers who do NOT want an independent analysis of their autographs , which in my personal opinion raises a "red flag".  And, there will always be those loyal to a particular authentication service.   Plus, we have all had our own personal experiences with certain major services, both good and bad. Yours truly included.    Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Steve, you do not have to invest in additional website features. Use a free third party service like Survey Monkey.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service