We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

The Signed Deluxe edition of Renegades will be on sale at Barnes & Noble on Dec 7th. Limit of one per person and instore only. No online orders . Barnes and Noble members only and the price is $500, 10% for members RENEGADES: BORN IN THE USA. (barnesandnoble.com) 

and Amazon Amazon.com: Renegades: Born in the USA (Deluxe Signed Edition): 978...

Views: 61220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's some good insight. I have many similar experiences as a long-term collector.  

Other hobbies (such as coins) are seeing similar cases where some collectors (especially newer ones) chase hot issues as part of the herd. It might not end well in the long term.

I stayed out the book discussed in this thread. I did actually visit one B&N bookstore on the 50% sale day to see if they had any, and I wasn't too disappointed that they didn't, since that saved me $250.

The good thing about this book is that they seem to be nice signatures and spaced far enough apart that they can be removed separately and framed with photos.

Very interesting.. I started to collect coins many years ago but cashed out when silver prices were sky high. I never got back into it. It was more of my grandfathers hobby. He was the reason it was fun. He passed away and I no longer have a desire to get back into it. 

You're right about the signatures in this book but yes, $250 even is still a lot of money

Talking about TTM is really getting me in the mood to start up again. I quit completely around 13 years ago because I suspected my mailman or someone in the usps system of stealing my mail.. many many sure things never arrived. Some arrived open and only items signed in my name were in the envelope (recent successes would indicate they would inscribe one item and any other items sent would just be a signature) ive also had a bunch of destroyed envelopes received in usps special bag with an apology admitting there was damage.  That never happened with bills and garbage mail.. i've moved away from that area into a small town now so its really tempting to try again. 

Its pretty easy to become addicted to this site and collecting in general so I dont blame you. Its a lot of fun and if you have the money to spend, I say keep doing what makes you happy. Hobbies cost money. As long as you don't go broke or lose your house over an autograph, its probably not a problem. I just wanted to post my experience and thought process.

More supply than we think, market slowed down after the pandemic craze, Renegades is a new item that just came out (and had copies gobbled up at half the MSRP), and there are plenty of copies "racing to the bottom" in terms of best price. Pick one and/or all.

Typically, unless there's a very good reason for it (the book is part of an experience I can't replicate otherwise), I don't buy signed books new at retail. A hard lesson I've learned over the years.

Speaking of buying new signed books at retail reminds me of those great deals that can sometimes be found when you buy signed books used at second hand stores. I love finding books signed by notable people at prices under $10. 

Happens all the time. As a tip, check thrift stores in ritzier/high-value areas, which I find offer the best chances at success.

I learned my lesson after I paid $35 plus shipping on a book signed by a Canadian journalist bought at release, only to find several signed copies of it less than three years later for $1-3. I have to give them away these days. Never again. If I buy full-price, it's for a signing event only.

If I showed you the list of what I have, and how much I bought it for, you'd be blown away. There's stuff I would never have dreamed of that I've been able to pick up for a song -- a good 80-85% of my 250+ book signed collection is all thrifted.

Good to know. I will start searching used bookstores and thrift stores once covid cases start to go down. I am currently chasing Presidents and First Ladies as well as some historical figures. 

Got it - I might send you a PM.

I'm interested in this. We moved away from the Chicago area this year downstate. Goodwills and other thrift stores here are really a disappointment compared to up north.. before we left, I would occasionally stop in one of the better Goodwill stores in the suburbs to look for autographs. Never had any luck. I must have been doing something wrong..

I'm in the far west burbs of Chicago and it gets streaky.  Oftentimes, one person will drop multiple signed books.  So usually I don't find any. But if I find one, I often find others.  I found Pat Riley, Mary Lou Retton, Apollo Ohno and Shawn Johnson at the same Goodwill on one trip. That said, I won't buy signed books unless there is interest or I can easily resell them.  So I've passed on people like Condoleeza Rice, Sarah Palin (with some issues to the binding), or Ralph Nader.

We used to live in Glendale Heights and would travel to Bartlett for the goodwill we used to shop at, more for my wife's art supplies. I did find a John Gorka signed cd. Still haven't even listened to it or looked him up. It was $1 so I figured why not. I may try to hunt around when im visiting family but sounds like you have the area pretty staked out already lol. 

Edit: finally got around to looking Hohn Gorka up.. he made a song with Shawn Colvin.. I just posted in the Shawn Colvin thread a few threads back. Funny coincidence. Same type of music. Nice surprise  

I've picked up a lot of signed books that way at thrift stores: In no particular order: Al Franken (x2), Alan Alda, Billy Crystal, Denis Leary (x2), Colin Powell (x3), Shawn Johnson, Apollo Ohno, Penn Jillette (x2), Red Schoendienst, Mike Birbiglia, Jim Gaffigan, Rick Steves, Mary Lou Retton, Jim Lovell, Buzz Aldrin, Pat Riley, Chris Matthews, Tim Russert, Jimmy Carter, Anthony Bourdain, Rick Bayless, Oliver North (x2 one with Premiere Collectibles COA), Hillary Clinton (x2), Sean Hannity, Jerry Springer, Megyn Kelly, Carl Bernstein, Johnny Bower, Bobby Orr (x2),  Marcel Dionne, Henry Rollins, Eric Johnson, Robert Ludlum, and others.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service