We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

I just recently joined here and have a few items I got some years ago that have questionable authenticity.  The first one is this Ted Williams baseball.  It came with a ticket to the event that the ball was supposedly signed at.  Looks good to me, but now that I’ve joined here, I’ve seen some crazy good forgeries.  Thanks for looking.

Views: 306

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll pass!

very hard to tell with the thick marker.  Could be good, just not sure.

Is it worth sending off to be authenticated? If it is an obvious fake, I won't waste the money. I've seen some not great opinions of PSA and JSA, but it does add resale value.

I think it's an obvious fake. When was the last time that Ted would have signed so meticulously and with perfect legibility? Late 90s? Thick, dark sharpie ink on a porous surface, a baseball, signed say 20 years ago? Without feathering? Without even a trace of that ample ink soaking outward? I don't know how that's possible. The thick sharpie was used in an effort to disguise any tells in a forgery. The ink here and the lack of any perceptible spread after supposedly 20 years is the tell.

And as a very strong forgery, very practiced, JSA or PSA might very well pass it, if they don't take into consideration the ink vs. the relative medium under it.

The ball came with a ticket to a card show.  Hit King Marketing Inc presents Supershow 2 “Yesterday’s Heroes” Ted Williams.  It has his signing schedule on it.  The date of the show was June 24, 1989.  I guess I’ve had it for about 10 years myself.  I wondered why there wasn’t any bleed on it, but it looks more like a paint pen than a sharpie in person.

Hey Jeremy, Well, we haven't established that its fake, and If you do send it off to have it authenticated, and comes it back that bad, then you're out $150.00

You could go to PSA website for a quick opinion. Cost you $10.00

https://www.psacard.com/store/t-quickopinionebay.aspx

good suggestion John, you are correct, we have not established it as an obvious fake.

I see good and bad with it also, The bottom area of the T and the W,Im not fussy for. But the general flow and overall seem ok haha. If I was buying though, I would go elsewhere!

I went to do that but it says Quick Opinion is only for active auctions.  Is there another way, other than setting up a sale on eBay?

Jeremy,  Put the ball up for sale on eBay. Then get an quick opinion from PSA and then you can take it back down again. Just a suggestion.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service