We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

thoughts on the' dangers 'of extended bidding at auctions

Be interested to hear other peoples thoughts. 

Views: 383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect, with one possible exception.  For a few years ebay partnered with outside auction houses and those specific auctions may have been different.

That could indeed be what I am possibly remembering. ...

As someone else mentioned, extended bidding is more aligned with traditional "real world" auctions than not. If anyone thinks that one of the goals of an auction is that "the buyer can get a steal," is mistaken. The format is intended to tap into emotional responses to maximize selling price. I'm surprised eBay has not yet implemented extended bidding. I believe it would be relatively simple to implement and it would kill sniping programs in one fell swoop.

I am a fan of sniping. Although extended bidding is fine as well. As long and the rule is the same for everyone all is fair. But, I never let emotions sway me to overbid. I have a set of amount I'm willing to pay and with sniping my odds increase in my chances of winning. I also lose a good percentage of the time by one bid increment. 

The good news is that even when losing in the last second there is always something else available. Plenty of fish in the sea!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service