We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi, I am new here but have scoured these threads for quite a while.  I am somewhat of a collector (mainly Beatles) but these items are more of a "personal" nature to me as they were sent to my father.  I have read, compared and gotten many opinions over the years regarding these letters and am well aware that Kennedy signatures are amongst the hardest to authenticate.  It is my hope to get Andreas Wiemer and Steve Cyrkin involved in this discussion as their input in previous discussions has been invaluable.

I have TWO JFK letters signed nine days apart and are drastically different.  Mr. Wiemer's recent study and discussion notes has raised issues regarding the January 11th signature.  Mainly, the stopping after the "e" in Kennedy as opposed to stopping after the "n" - in a previous discussion, he has termed this WRONG, although, admittedly, at one time thought this "style" was authentic.

The second letter dated January 20th is a completely different style (obviously).  However, it incorporates styles from earlier authentic Kennedy signatures (1950-1952), the almost "V" like "K" in Kennedy, the "8" style "J" in John, as well as the skipping of the second "e" in Kennedy and the "d" along with the previously seen swooping "Y".

Many years ago, John Reznikoff gave these a cursory "looks good" but I know that a lot of new info has come out since that time.

These letters pertain to my father becoming a US citizen and I am very happy to have them in my possession.  I have gone through the trouble of mounting and displaying one of them in my home (I'll reveal which one after I get opinions - LOL).  I also have the "franked" envelopes that they came in and will provide photos if that would help at all.

I am simply trying to get the most informed opinions regarding this so that I can confidently display it and pass on to my children.  Please help.  Please ask any questions if I have missed anything and I greatly appreciate your feedback.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Tags: Historical, JFK, TLS, presidential

Views: 2154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I get it, I know, these can all mean nothing in the end.  That's why I'm hoping the more opinions offered by people "in the know" will help me with my confidence level regarding it's authenticity.  I appreciate your help and looking forward to getting others involved in the discussion.  Thanks

Have a look at the letter on Vintage memorabilia website. The signature and handwriting are in different inks.

I'm 55% secretarial and 45% JFK

How do you stand at the moment? I realise you have an emotional attachment.

Ouch, a few minutes ago, I would have said 90% real, 10% secretarial.  Your attachment scares me now...why add post script to a letter you are currently signing ?  I don't know...also, it is a year after my letters but the signatures are very, very similar. I am hoping Paul will weigh in on this and see if that changes his previously stated opinion...

Truly, the plot thickens...

Yes I think it needs another to step in with their thoughts

Look at this one. The signature you can tell the signature and the hand writing are the same hand. You can't say that about the previous one.

I agree, that is definitely in the same hand.  However, the "Y" in Kennedy is slightly different style than the previous "questionable" letter and mine as well. That doesn't sit well with me.

This was sold by RR and  Pre-certified John Reznikoff

The January 7, 1955 letter and the postscript are both in Kennedy’s hand. The signed letter with the the postscript “congratulations” is all in JFK’s hand. Kennedy not uncommonly added postscripts. You are reading into this way too much.

Thank you Paul, certainly not trying to read into it too much...just trying to get the most definitive answer as possible.  Why, do you think, he would add a post script to a letter he already signed using an obviously different pen ?  Just wondering if you have a theory... thanks

Also, what about this...signed in April 1954, two months later.  Is this his handwritten post script as well ?  Obviously, using the same pen as he signed with.  Would a secretary ever add post script ?  That's not something I have ever seen or am familiar with...Lastly, the "Y", completely different style than previous letters... again, appreciate your input.

Yes, both JFK. That looks authentic

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service