We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

In terms of collectibility or popularity that is. I believe sometime back in the mid-to-late 80s TIME magazine declared that U2 may be the second-most popular band in music history after The Beatles.

I think this may still indeed be true when looking at the entire scope of popular music history. Their world influence cannot be denied. Now, of course, I think the Stones are right there. However, I don't think Bono will ever pass Mick as an icon, although Bono is hard to top as a humanitarian.

So who comes in second after The Beatles? There will be the Zeppelin fans. But their popular influence simply does not touch U2. It's not close.

Oh...but let's not forget One Direction. (LOL!!!)

Views: 1887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The top 5 bands of all time in my opinion....

1.The Beatles

2.The Rolling Stones

3.Led Zeppelin.

4.Cream

5.Pink Floyd

U2 would not even fall into the top ten I believe!

Millions upon millions of people around the globe would disagree with you about U2, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Here's my personal Top 10:

1. The Beatles
2. U2
3. The Rolling Stones
4. R.E.M.
5. AC/DC
6. Van Halen
7. The Cure
8. Depeche Mode
9. Led Zeppelin
10. Boston

Mark - I like that list.

James - you are completely correct about opinions.  As an example, IMHO, I am amazed to see Led Zep just above Boston and below a whole bunch of wannabes in your top 10 (I think your 'Millions upon millions' comment will ring true there), but each to their own and it helps makes the world go round.

The spice girls are number one!

mmm, not sure.  I'd let them mud wrestle Katy Perry for it.

Katy Perry has a lot of songs I like! Not sure, though, if she could had all that spice by herself!
Agreed, Nate. The list I put up is just my PERSONAL taste. If I were ranking the OBJECTIVE commercial success of these bands, U2 would likely still be No. 2, but no doubt Led Zeppelin would be in the Top 5, way ahead of Boston.

I'm trying to differentiate people's personal tastes vs. objective quantifiable criteria.

Some people don't like Madonna, but no one can dispute that she is in fact the biggest-selling female artist of all-time, like her or not.
I have to add too that, as amazing as this statistic might be, Led Zeppelin had fewer than 10 Top 40 hits in the USA.
These are just my personal tastes. I know Led Zeppelin has millions more fans than The Cure and Depeche Mode put together.
The songs of innocence is a great signed cover for all U2 fans, make sure you add it to your collection.
I'll try, but I just bought some more JFK stuff! I think I may have a problem. Lol.

beatles

elvis

michael jackson

led zeppelin

abba

madonna

rolling stones

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service