We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Would the cover of an album turn you off buying a signed lp?

Let's say you wanted to buy a Prince signed lp, but the only album you could find was a, Dirty Mind lp or a Love sexy.

Would you be man enough to buy it and hang it on the wall?

What would stop you from buying an autograph you really want, would it be a footballer in another teams jersey that you don't support.

Views: 579

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In one word yes. I wouldn't have the quandary of the Prince signed LP as I'm not into him. I am fussy about signatures matching (all blue,black etc.). The darkness of the signature,placement, which Lp and all that but I am a collector not a seller. With collectibles you have to have patience because that perfect one WILL come along. I have been waiting for a Springsteen to pick up and got one at a good price that Ive been waiting on for quite awhile. I didnt want him on Born In The USA as everybody else has him on it. I wanted a Nebraska one though the cover and the music is a bit gloomy but that's what I wanted. Eventually I might go for a Born To Run but the key is to have patience, all that stuff will come up for sale sooner or later just don't wait until they die,especially the Jaggers/Mccartneys!

Well said Ian re ink, placement, color, contrast etc. It is nice that we all seek different material - room for everyone. Some say, quite rightly for them, that a 1975 Lennon is not as desirable as a 1964 because by '75 he was jaded or whatever. But, I would prefer a signed Plastic Ono Band or Imagine over a Beatle album for something akin to the same reason. Many ways to arrive at "the best for me", and this makes for variation. I can't stand to hear "Oh, I have one of those" when folks look at some of my collections (ocean liner material for one).

And also about the ideal item coming along, often at a super price, in time (especially after you buy). Quite true. Patience is key.

Eric

Ocean liner? As in U.S.S. United States?

Hi Ian,

I collect photographs, postcards (only with date, message and image corresponding) and pieces of the first Mauretania. One of my best card messages/postdate/postmark combinations, launch and MV aside, is a description of her first inspection on October 11th or 14th (I can't recall now) 1907, detailing the cost to go aboard and the number of visitors.

I attach a panoramic from approx April 1907 taken by James Eric Mewes looking roughly west from the Tyne ferry from North Shields. You can see her in her fitting out basin along with her launch cradle and the floating drydock. I have some stereo construction as well. The raw full file of this panoramic can be blown up endlessly. My collection runs from 1905 to August 6, 1914. I sold everything from that date to August 1936 at Rosyth to focus on this early period. What do you collect?

Eric

PS - The article linked below (10 years old now) might be of interest - a lot of previously unpublished photographs and much research. This does not represent my collection as it is now though.

Farewell to the Tyne by Eric K. Longo

Click to see full image

Restored digital file © EKL COLLECTIONS

Hi Ian

Have you seen this? I imagine you know his books - he passed away last July at 85. A great gentleman.

A friend aboard SSUS

Thanks Eric,good reading,didnt realize the ship was so fast. One of the 2 times I came over to the U.S. when I was a child was on the United States ocean liner which sits rotting in Philadelphia. A real shame a symbol of Americas greatness which still holds a record for fastest transit itself. I have an ashtray,cards and a few various things from the ship. They keep reporting they will fix it one day but I wont hold my breath.Sorry to hijack this post.

"Sorry to hijack this post."

Me too! Wasn't thinking - apart from liners. I believe S.S.U.S. recently had additional dismal news. :(

Thanks re article. Lets chat in PM or something.

Eric

Your right Eric, I'm just going on about nothing.

Hi Paul,

From your response I think I might have said something poorly? My apologies - what was it?

Eric

Nothing mate.

Eric, is David bowies autographs expensive?

Hi Paul,

"Is David Bowie's autograph expensive?"

Well, it doesn't have to be. Depending on budget, vintage (70-80, 80's, 90's and beyond), format (LP, CD, 8x10 etc) and quality (contrast, ink color, placement and image/item originality). As with everything. With patience and eyes one can find very good items at very good prices. I have seen some nice items close for much less than one might think - sometimes 1/5 to 1/10 of what might be considered "expensive".

Eric

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service