I recently purchased an entire archive of Secretary of the Treasury under Truman, John W. Snyder. Going through this archive has been enlightening on a number of levels. Illustrated here are some examples that will be valuable to Truman collectors and are published for the first time.
- March 3, 1939 Authentically signed by Truman as Senator
- May 2, 1940 proxy signed letter "Harry S. T. by BWT" unquestionably signed for the Senator by his wife and future first lady Bess Wallace Truman.
- May 18, 1944 proxy signed letter by unknown secretary. A convincing imitation that is quite different than the ones illustrated by Hamilton on page 541 of "American Autographs."
- April 19, 1948 Authentically signed letter as President
- Jan. 28, 1971 Authentically signed Bess Truman letter on HST stationary as former first lady.
- A comparison of the two authentic Trumans and the secretarial.
(Click images to enlarge.)