We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I am starting this in hopes people will add their real Andy Griffith autographs and the Linke "secretarial" ones for comparison.  Since the death of Andy Griffith I have noticed a growing appreciation of the man and actor.  He was much more than just "Andy Taylor" his range from comedy to drama was great.  I suspect his popularity will increase partly because of TCM showing some of his dramatic and comic performances. 

In this study if you scroll down the comments you will find links to Andy Griffith's four appearances as a "Mystery Guest" on the television game show What's My Line? in 1958, 1959,1965 and 1967.  There are captures of his signature as he signed in below also. 

With Andy Griffith autographs it is not so much the forgeries, since the value has not quite reached the level to make it worthwhile, but "secretarial" signatures that are the problem.  The "secretary" generally was Richard O. Linke a producer who worked with Griffith for many years.  It is hoped that people will submit genuine autographs from checks or other sources as well as any "fake" ones.  The more there is for comparison the better our understanding of the nuances in his signature.

For many years the "Linke" autographs were considered real much in the same way that the "Challton Heston" signatures were.  An old respected collector many years ago told me that most of the Andy Griffith autographs were suspect.  At that time it was assumed a secretary was signing.  Based on what my friend told me I never actually owned an Andy Griffith autograph until I bought checks on eBay a few years ago!  The work that Gary Wedemeyer and Frank Johnson are doing to educate people on the subject of the "Linke" autographs is very valuable.  Like most TAGS collectors they have a great passion for the subject.  I would like to thank them for their efforts.

The first is the signature of a very young Andy Griffith at age 18.  This comes from the World War II draft registration form that was signed by Andy Griffith.  I have never seen an earlier example of his signature although no doubt some exist.    The original is in the National Archives so in a way this is an Andy Griffith autograph that we all own!

Views: 7453

Replies to This Discussion

Andy Griffith check posted by Gary Wedemeyer for some reason this did not show up until it is clicked on.  I am putting it here for easier viewing.

This is a nice example of an authentic signed photograph I suspect it is from the 1970s.

http://classicentertainmentautographs.com/products/cat-001462211-an...

That's a good one. One thing to look for in authentic Andy signed photos is they are usually publicity shots and not photos or from TAGS and are usually inscribed to someone. This is one I have from the late 70's early 80's.

Attachments: No photo uploads here

I think Andy Griffith, like Fred Gwynne, considered himself more than just one role they portrayed. I can understand how it would be being so identified with one role that you lose something of yourself. Gwynne hated to sign Herman Munster photos those he did are very scarce. I am trying to recall if I ever saw a Mayberry photo signed by Griffith that I liked. I am certain they exist but just cannot seem to recollect seeing one for sale. So you are right most of the authentic Andy Griffith ones are of him as himself not a character.

This is a really nice autograph.

I have made these chalkboard signatures of Andy's various appearances  on What's My Line? a bit smaller for quick comparison.  The full clearer scans are above in Gary's reply.

This is from 1958.

This second one below is from the 1959 episode:

Below is from the 1965 episode:

Below is the final appearance in 1967:

Interesting, he never really had good handwriting. maybe one of the reasons he didn't like to sign.

His signature and handwriting got increasingly shaky, and a bit sloppy not that I have any place to talk mine is atrocious.   I would like  to get together some of his autographs by date to try to show the progression. 

Mine also. Everybody just pushes buttons now. One of the reasons autographs will be doomed in the future. Beautiful signatures like Richard Pettys will be rare. Modern sigs will all be scribble barely worth collecting! Buts that's for another thread. I remember reading Andy was partially paralyzed for a little while also so I guess he had his reasons he didn't like to sign much. Shame Ive read more than once he wasn't that fan friendly.

I think it is not so much that he was not fan friendly, but suspect he was a very private person and probably got tired of people thinking all he did was TAGS.  I can understand that it would get old fast I suspect and at least he didn't charge fans for autographs then treat them like dirt like some actors and sports figures do.  

Modern scribbles I have 0 interest in because they are just wiggly lines or straight lines.  My handwriting is bad but at least I form letters as did Mr. Griffith.  Frances Bavier had a nice signature as did Jack Dodson and Betty Lynn.  I think you right autographs of the future will be butt ugly lol.

I only know what I read but they say Frances ( Aunt Bee) wasn't easy to work with. Being around long enough I take everything with a grain of salt

George Lindsey told me once that Frances might have thought television was "beneath" her. She had been on Broadway and in movies before TAGS. He also said she was a little hard to work with and didn't tolerate people being unprofessional.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service