We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi, is this real please? 

Views: 1082

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also this - said to be secretarial along with the rest:

This is from PSA Facts:

Minnie, this might be  of interest. I never did learn the size of the OP Grant. Is it 11x14?

"The possibility of encountering secretarial and facsimile signatures is greatest in signed photographs, and this is particularly true in the entertainment field. As far as vintage (pre-1950) movie star photographs go, there is a good rule of thumb. The photographs came in 4 sizes: postcard, 5 by 7, 8 by 10 and 11 by 14. Postcard photographs generally have an obviously printed or photographic signature on the front, if any at all. Signatures on 5 by 7’s are 80% secretarial, as these were sent out by the truckload by the studios. With just a few exceptions (notably Spencer Tracy), only actors and actresses who were really minor had the time or inclination to sign them on a regular basis. Those on 8 by 10’s are 50% genuine and those on 11 by 14’s are 90% genuine. There is a reason for this. Back in the 1930’s and early 1940’s, if you wrote a movie star for a signed photo, you generally got a postcard saying that they were available for a certain payment, 10 cents for a 5 by 7, 25 cents for an 8 by 10 and a dollar for an 11 by 14. Obviously in those days, if anyone was willing to spend a dollar, they deserved the real McCoy. 11 by 14 inch photos were also the size given by stars to other stars and to close friends and family, and were virtually always inscribed. After 1950 oversize and undersize photographs dropped away, and authentic and secretarially signed photos were both almost always 8 by 10 inches, and the percentage of authentic examples dropped well below 50%." - from Raab

In my personal experience focusing primarily on vintage film, it's not foolproof to start from a premise that 11" x 14" photos are always "the real McCoy" (that could potentially be a costly collecting  mistake IMHO!).    Each piece has to be examined on it's own merits and not just a size.  I think we can see this with Cary Grant.

I had a beautiful blind stamped  Errol Flynn 11" x 14" that proved to be secretarial and a 5" x 7" that was authentic.  Go figure :-) !

Thanks Eddy. I never said always and I don't think did Raab did. I remember the unusual Flynn. Can you please post or point to what you consider an authentic early 1940's Grant?

I'm not sure where that link quote is coming from that you are posting but it does say (regarding 11" x 14"s that cost a dollar through the mail) that:

"Obviously in those days, if anyone was willing to spend a dollar, they deserved the real McCoy". 

Someone parting with a dollar may have deserved it, but surviving evidence shows that they didn't always get it!

I think Michael posted a nice early 40s one upthread.

Thank you :-)

"Deserving" and getting are two different things. What I posted and linked to states clearly 10% or perhaps more 11" x 14"'s were not authentic. The link I posted takes you to the page and site.

Thank Eric,  as I’ve just said to Eddy I’m sorry to open up a can of worms on here, I won’t be bidding on the picture. I know absolutely nothing about genuine autographs but I  know the people on here do I’m always amazed by your expertise. Even if it was a small percentage that the signature wasn’t real , the picture wouldn’t mean a thing to me I’m more of a fan and not a collector. I really appreciate the time people put in on here to help, thank you :) 

Well, thank you Minnie, and you didn't open anything. It was and is my sole goal to try and help you and other members :-)

I feel like we're going in circles.  Where are we with Minnie's initial piece that she has been considering?  I'm not sure if you are still considering this or the other or not, Minnie?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service