We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Okay, what do you think of this one? Could she be true - in this sig at least?

Views: 517

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kai -  I was scrolling and saw you posted this here.  I answered you elsewhere but I did just dig out a tight shot of a check that Mae had signed in later years.  I think you can see for yourself.  I'd avoid the one you posted.

Thanks for your help, Eddy!

Good to have you back here! Welcome!

Thanks, Kai!   Mae is not an expensive but I think she is more of a rarity in authentic form than is commonly thought...at least somewhat.   She has a cult following to this day, as I'm sure you know.  Thus, she's ripe for being faked imo.

But don't you think that in earlier years she might have signed in a more dynamic way than on that check?

The dedication looks good to me, I must confess.

To be in felt tip (on what seems an ageless white card) the OP would have to postdate C.1962 and also predate her style change from the looping flamboyance of the earlier years to the much simpler signature seen on later checks such was the one posted by Eddy or the one I just looked at from 1980. When did her style change?

These are good points that Eric is raising.  That's why I pulled the image of the check, so that we were looking at the same kind of pen type and roughly what would have been a later period.

I have a signed pic from a reliable source from 1973 which still has her flamboyant style. What Eddy posted looks to me like an old age attempt of that style. Maybe her health deteriorated between the early and the late 1970's. 

"Maybe her health deteriorated between the early and the late 1970's "

She was doing interviews and making films up until Sextette in 1978. It seems during that filming her eyesight was noticeably failing. She died of a stroke 2 years later.

My question is: Given that the OP sig is 1973 or before, does it have a chance to be okay? As far as I know her flamboyant "T" fits and the dynamic as well. Or am I wrong?

Sorry guys, I've got to go to bed now. See you tomorrow and thanks for sharing your thoughts!

If you seek out exemplars from those years you should be able to pin down the style change(s) and thus answer your question. The OP must fit between 1962 (introduction of the pen) and the latest date you provided, 1973.

Have a good night.  I'll just add this from the Nate Sanders site.  Publicity photo signed in black fiber tip.  It's in a more flourishing style. I'm still not convinced about the OP .... even putting it next to this photo.  The handwriting on this photo looks much more natural to my eye compared to the OP.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service