We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Remember this Paul McCartney signature we had a discussion about? Ebay removed the original listing as a forgery. Well, I submitted it to Roger Epperson and he issued a LOA on it. I relisted it on ebay and they just removed it again! Guess I now own a Paul McCartney that will be tainted no matter what. Another life lesson learned the hard way.

Views: 3670

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It hadn't been authenticated by JSA when it was removed from eBay. Otherwise, I doubt that would have happened.
If you still have the mc ballroom you could relist it on ebay and see.
Does anyone know the person calling the shots behind ebay and having items like this removed.

I think we really need to be honest with ourselves here as regards this particular signature. It's an atypical example that's a bit rushed, it just doesn't scream authentic at you like some autographs do.

I believe it's real but it's the kind of piece where you do definitely need a COA from a respected source if you want to sell it. Personally I wouldn't want it regardless of any COA it might have.

Some people might be of the opinion that it is not genuine and if they report it to Ebay as a fake then what can they do? How much effort could they put in to establishing the truth with thousands of items being sold every day?

Ebay is big business and the system is far from flawless. If there's a lesson here I think it is to never buy anything for which you have doubts regardless of any COA it might have because others will have their doubts too if you try to sell it on in the future.

Yes True , spoken like a true prophet.

As you said Paul it is a game of opinions and in this day and age if I was going to buy a valuable piece it would have to satisfy me first and then one of the respected experts if it was practical to get an opinion from them before I bought.

In all honesty, on rare occasions I've seen things authenticated by the most respected people that I wouldn't buy myself. That doesn't mean that they are wrong, it just means that the item has failed my "It has to satisfy me first" premise.

Yes i agree.
I see guys buying of ebay and the listings are outrageous, but they still manage to get a coa with the item after the purchase, but i wouldn't buy them. It doesnt satisfy my premise.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in. Just thought I'd share my experience. In the end, ebay has the right to allow or remove what they want, it's their site. Lesson learned and this is just part of participating in this hobby. I enjoy what I do. If someone happens to see this post and wants to purchase this McCartney for a fair price; contact me. If not, I will keep it and be content with that as well. 

Here is a paul with a similar mccartney.
Attachments: No photo uploads here

Yet Ebay leaves all GFA's fake autographs to be sold.

Hi - to be honest. I would rate that Paul NOT authentic myself. There are a lot of rushed styles from him out there but his one doesn`t match. But who knows as he only has a spare place to write. On the other hand from personal experience I know that he or his aides refused to let him sign such items.

Nevertheless it is nearly impossible to tell as Paul most of the time writes rushed autographs and even his "full names" look awfull - even those signed officially for charity as Grammys etc..

Thanks Thorsten for your input. The obvious fact is this signature has issues that experienced collectors on McCartney would shy away from. My lack of experience on his signature cost me dearly in that area.

But here is the way I see it. I purchased it from someone I believe has a solid reputation and is a frequent contributor on this site. The member said it was obtained by them in-person. Plus, Roger Epperson rendered me a positive quick opinion in which I then submitted it to him for a full authentication which he issued a full LOA after examining it.

Either the seller was telling me a distortion and Roger rendered a poor judgement on this or it's authentic.

Either way, it's not worth the time and cost to pay for more TPA for it's value based on the varied opinions of it desirability would make is a likely not to cover the costs involved.

I accept that I am solely responsible for the choices I make and I am the one who decided to purchase this and I understand. Actions have consequences. Some good; some bad.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service