We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

First, let me say congratulations to Patriots fans! What an absolutely stunning comeback by Tom Brady and his teammates in Super Bowl LI. If there was even still the slightest question about who is the GOAT quarterback...it's now settled. Brady has 7 Super Bowl appearances (most all-time) and 5 Super Bowl titles (most all-time). And that comeback from down 28-3 starting with about 2:30 left in the 3rd quarter, is more than the stuff legends are made of. It just added even more to Brady's already untouchable legacy.

So tonight I was looking on eBay to see where prices are going, and I saw that Tristar is offering replica full-size Super Bowl LI Tom Brady signed helmets for about $1000 each. Since Brady is now widely-regarded as the best ever, will his prices approach the level of Michael Jordan UDA items? I'd say MJ signed UDA jerseys go for about $1500-$1800... I think. So are Brady items going to go in that direction?

Views: 2519

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, but Josh, from what I understand, Tom's supermodel wife goes on crazy shopping sprees all the time (and Tom likes to tag along) and their bank account, even with all her own millions, is constantly being drained. A lot of people don't realize that the Bradys actually live paycheck to paycheck. So these signing events are seen as unfortunate necessities. Lol.

Now being serious, I understand what you're saying. It's kind of like...how much is enough? Actually, it's probably at least partly...for any star...an ego thing. Like...how important is my signature to the masses? How much are they willing to pay for a piece of me?
I know a lot of them don't want to sign in person because they don't like autograph hounds having them sign just so they can list on ebay... and make $1000 off their name. They figure there's no reason why their hard work or talent should make someone else $1000. But there's still real fans that want them and appreciate them... and are the ones willing to pay a random dealer $1000. So why not make the money themselves, satisfy the fans willing to pay that much... and in the end easy few hours of work for a six figure paycheck. So everyone wins, except the autograph hounds that Brady or other celebs don't like anyway.

I don't think the fan dropping a grand on a player to scribble lazily on something is a win. But, I get it. I paid dearly for Rodgers's half-ass sig from a private signing after SB 45.

Looking at prices for top actors, musicians, politicians, deceased legends . . . I have to wonder if prices for sports stars would be nearly this high if these rich athletes weren't charging so much for their signings. Imagine if C-list actors started charging $75 - 150 for their signature (though I guess some do, if you look at some of these comic con signings), with A listers signing for $800 - 1000 (or more). That's almost what it feels like the sports market has become, except we have nothing but assembly line autographs with virtually no character. Admittedly, we get the peace of mind, guarantee, etc that private signings offers.

Agreed, I should have worded it better than a win. Maybe a win in the player/celebrity's mind. Definitely not great to have to pay that much for a signature... the fans that can't afford those crazy prices are the ones who lose. But essentially the autograph hounds, dealers, and fans who pay that much for the signature will keep this practice afloat.

If only real fans asked for autographs the celebrities would sign more for free, most likely. Since theyes get hounded and most end up on eBay, they refuse to sign, making the autograph more valuable. Then to satisfy demand to fans (or simply to make more money) they do private signings and the prices are crazy due to them refusing to sign in person. Kind of a vicious cycle for real fans.

I think they just price it high enough that there's not a single penny dealers/resellers can squeeze out of it. So it's just a way of weeding out the resellers and getting to real fans in a way (and making the money for themselves instead of an autograph hound)... but that excludes many fans that don't have that kind of money... but if anything is priced low enough for average fan, it gets swept up by resellers and onto eBay at 5 times the price. So I guess I should have said a win for some, haha. There's no real way around it (that I could come up with anyway).

See, that's the thing - actors know that more of the hounds with their stacks of photos aren't actually fans, but they sign for free anyway. That's why it's harder for me to accept the way these already rich athletes are taking the cash - even though there is a medium - from their fans. 

I'm just not happy with the way the sports autograph market has developed over the past 25 years or so. Outside of straight forgery, this is where I've seen the most greed.

Yeah, I guess it just depends on the celebrity. Back when Letterman was still on I remember hearing him complain about people making a living off getting autographs and selling them. Then some like Tom Hardy, I've seen him sign 50 autographs on the street. Then you have ones like David Gilmour from Pink Floyd, who doesn't like to sign, so his autograph is really expensive, compared to Roger Waters who signs regularly at shows. But it does suck the way things are headed. Even for non sport autographs.

Celebrity Authentics has had some controversy, so I'm scared to buy from them, but I'd really like a Michael Keaton autograph. They also overcharge by a lot. So it's a tough choice. I definitely agree with you on that.

That's sad. He's cashing in shamelessly. If you check eBay his certified autograph cards are selling for $500 +. It's only a bump from the Super Bowl. Non collectors are jumping into the market and driving up the price. By this time next year the prices will come down by half or more. 

The same thing happened with Steph Curry when the Warriors were making their run. His regular old Topps rookie card was selling for $500. Ungraded. You can pick one up today for $75. 

it gripes me when these athletes "command" these kinds of prices.  Recently Mariano Rivera and Hideki Matsui did a show here in NJ (along with many other athletes) and they were asking 250 to 290 I believe, per autograph.  I was thinking then that I felt sorry for parents who had kids that idolized these athletes, and had to spend that kind of money to get their signature.   This situation with Brady is inexplicable.  How can a Dad justify a weeks pay, in many cases, to get a signature for his son/daughter?  its nuts. I really hope the autographs sit there.  It is not an investment at all, in my opinion.

+1

What makes it worse is that this is a private signing. I don't mind paying $75 for an autograph for my son worth $35, if he gets to meet his favorite player(s) and get a picture taken with him. And honestly, most of the in person signing we have gone to the players really seem to like interacting with their fans. Especially the kids. Not only does Brady want an obscene price, he doesn't want to have to rub elbows with the riffraff called his fans. 

$500 for what amounts to a TTM autograph on a card? It's hard to respect the guy as a person. Regardless if he's the greatest ever. 

I'm not sure how/why that thread was necroed, but as long as we're here, I've been looking for an approximate price tag for my 2010 Panini Heroes of Monday Night Tom Brady with patch and sig ? Can anybody tell me or link me to a website for that? Thx!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service