We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Hi all - I’d like to begin my series of discussion topics on things to look for to identify authentic signatures vs highly questionable ones that are likely forgeries. 
Im providing two sets of examples for signed John Lennon ‘In His Own Write’ autographs.

The first set is John Lennon and his first wife Cynthia Lennon. Two different matching ink colors shown on each. One came with provenance. The other did not. 
We have example A and example B. I have added these letters and circled them in black ink to identify the two.

The next set are three examples of John Lennon alone in the same color ink on all. 
Again, only one has provenance. These again are labeled by me in black circled ink as A2, B2 & C2.

So A & B are the John Lennon/Cynthia Lennon sets

whilst A2-C2 are the solo John Lennon signatures. 

Ironically, the two set examples all sold approximately one year from each other. The authentic one in each set sold for the lowest amount in both set examples and all 5 were sold at the same “place”. 

which ones do you think are authentic ?
Only one in each set has provenance associated.
None of these were sold with evident COAs (meaning any authentication documents were not disclosed before sale or referenced - authenticity assumed in each case).

eBay was not the source though I’m sure these have been resold there for much higher prices probably a few times. 

Let me know your thoughts on these please! 

-

Tags: John, Lennon

Views: 445

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I’ve seen A and B2 before, both of which have been authenticated and are authentic IMO. I’ve always suspected that he signed “John Lenn” in the first example, and someone else added the “ON” portion.

Evidence suggests that A was created to replicate B. I’ll break that down at the end. B is the authentic verifiable set as Eva pointed out with Bramfield’s signature on it as well. 

However B2 has no provenance and I will break this down below. It is not the verifiable authentic example. :) 

That’s interesting. FYI, A was authenticated by Frank Caiazzo and B2 by PSA/DNA.

If I were you Penny Fields, I would post this discussion just once and in the Beatles section of the Music category. Personally, I would also give my opinion first and explain my reasoning once others have contributed.

I'm by no means a true expert but:

A - the "on" would put me off buying this one but the rest of it looks OK

B - doesn't look like a totally typical John Lennon so I wouldn't want it but with the Brambell autograph being there it probably is real.

A2 - too atypical for me (particularly the "o" in John).

B2 - OK.

C2 - not for me as too flat and elongated.

I moved this to the Beatles forum. It looks like the other discussion has already been deleted.

Thanks Ballroom. The other one is still there under Town Square.

You’re right. I just deleted it.

Thank you - I’m new here so I had troubling posting this. Appreciate that! I’ll reply on everyone’s input below! Cheers!

You are correct on the first set and well done recognizing Bramfield! 

The second set would be what most would like if as a legitimate signature but B2 is not the verifiable signature. ;)

I would have to say that A is not for me but B is okay.

A2 is genuine..

B2 and C2 would have to have to come with a rock solid provenance.

B is correct on the John/Cynthia set.

Everyone chose B2 on the second set which is not the correct verifiable with provenance example. 

very interestingly, A and B2 sold on the same day. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service