On December 2, Julien's Auctions is selling The Collection of Tompkins and Bush. The collection contains 465 lots of Michael Jackson memorabilia, 287 of them autographed.

Michael Bush and the late Dennis Tompkins were Michael Jackson's costume designers for 25 years, during Jackson's most successful period. They were the consignors of the signed Thriller jacket that Julien's sold for $1,800,000 in June 2011.

Almost all of the autographs in the Tompkins and Bush sale are a variation I'm not familiar with. I've only been looking at Jackson's autograph for a few years, though, and we have members here who have collected him for decades, so I'd appreciate your input and exemplars.

If you know Michael Jackson's autograph well, please look at a few images below from the auction and let me know what you think. Even better, browse the auction and upload any similar examples you have: http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/77/

Julien's is the world's premier auction house for Michael Jackson memorabilia, so they would know his autograph better than most of us. I'm just surprised I haven't seen this style before.

Thanks for your help.

Tags: 2012, Julien's, auction, michael jackson, tompkins and bush

Views: 130353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is the provenance on the coat.   http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2009/music-icons/michael-ja...  Looking it up online (bits and pc's from different sites) it seems to ring true.  The coat was given to Tony Martell, well known recording industry exec by Michael, to benefit the TJ Martell foundation.  TJ was Tony's son who died of leukemia at age 19.   It was auctioned off originally at Sothebys June 1989.  Resold at Juliens 11/21/2009  Lot 308

I am over here choking......... the tickets went for: Winning bid:$7,600 and $10,937.50.   Look what I just found online.  "From the collection of Arnold Klein"  (that name gags MJ fans) http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20105/lot/1067/   sold for 400.00   Ticket #'s on Julien's are 0102 and 0107.  Klein's 0109.   I didn't look close but there might be some more goods in that auction that ended up in Julien's.  http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20105/#r1=100&m1=1  my eyes hurt someone else look thru it please.

Good job, MJ Fan! I'm surprised those tickets might be genuinely signed. I've never seen that style before, but perhaps Jackson used a stylized signature for that event. Unlike the Bush autographs, it has some of his characteristics. The Bonham's MJ's in Dr. Klein's sale often went cheap, but no one gets the prices Julien's does on Jackson.

What's fascinating is that the other Jackson autographs in Klein's auction look like the ones we're used o seeing...and sometimes he stayed at Klein's house. He had a room there. Why wouldn't the autographs he signed for Klein look more like the ones he supposedly signed for Tompkins and Bush after procedures?

I don't recall Christie's anyone selling Jackson's autographs to Elizabeth Taylor. They would be interesting to see.

BTW, there was a piece signed to Debbie Rowe in the sale with the same D as the Dennis in the red shirt drawing the Autry Center has.

Oooh I missed it! (the D) lol... I couldn't look at it any more.  The name Klein made me want to stab my eyes out with a spork.  :D

I understand why.

These could be secretarial sigs, i cant imagine Michael sitting and signing 250 tickets, What do you think Steve?

You could be right. Sometimes people do strange variations of their signatures and you only realize they could be good when you study and compare them carefully. I honestly don't know about these.

Yes I have looked through that sale before. Most of the signed items look like the real thing. I have a hard time judging the ticket because it is small and his writing is a little different Ive seen when trying to write in a small space. I think it could be genuine.

Has anyone ever seen other MJ autographs like the ones on the gallery tickets? 

which one are the gallery tickets, the gold ones or? 

Yes, sorry. I meant art showing. They were for a showing at Neverland in 2003.

I honestly started looking up Klein's sig since the #'s are so close together, it wouldn't surprise me (this guy came out with some really crappy stories after MJ died)  If they are all his, he should have consigned them all at the same time (the 2009 auction)... with this recession and all he lost a mint on only getting 400.00 3 yrs later!  (this is a joke of course)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service