We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

I recently started collecting. So far, I am exclusively pursuing in-person autographs from players on my favorite NFL team (the Seahawks, in case it matters). My goal is to build a personal collection really nice mementos to leave to for my boys.

I recently was able to get my jersey signed by Russell Wilson at the team's training camp (image attached). As this is something I have wanted since he started playing for the team, I thought I would go whole-hog and get the autograph authenticated and then frame the jersey and LOA.

The problem is that the authentication came back from JSA as "inconclusive". 

Now, I and my family know that the autograph is legit (I watched my son get the jersey signed). So, I guess my question is, how much effort should I put into getting the autograph authenticated?

Personally, I will never sell the jersey, and the experience of trying to get it authenticated with an inconclusive response has somewhat soured the whole thing for me. However, I also want to make sure my boys have the best memento.

Views: 509

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to AML, Travis. If you got an autograph signed yourself and have no intention of selling it in the next few years, I wouldn't have it authenticated. There's really no reason to. 

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. 

That is the direction I am starting to lean. Reading through the forums here, it feels like many of the experienced collectors seem to do their own homework on authenticating autographs and that certification seems to be more for beginners (like me). 

I have been collecting for over 30 years and probably have autographs that number in the 10's of thousands.

I can count the number of authenticated pieces I own on my hands.......and I have never paid for someone's opinion.

Enjoy your jersey. save your money.  

You got it signed so don't worry about that nonsense. If possible next time take a picture. Frame it up and enjoy it!

Third-party authentication isn't just for beginners. Most higher-end sports, entertainment and music collectors insist on it, and for a good reason.

But there's no reason to get it if you're not going to sell...ever or soon. If you do sell, the more current the authentication the better.

When you say "more current the authentication the better", I'm not sure I understand. Does that mean get it authenticated as close to the time of intended sale as possible, or as close to the time the item was signed?

Legitimate authenticators tend to get better over time, as does the art and science of authentication itself. The more current the COA or LOA, the more likely it is to be accurate.

Thank you all for your input. It has been very reassuring.

I'm not going to sweat the authentication - honestly worrying about it took some of the enjoyment out of what was a really awesome experience. Time to get this framed up and hung on the wall. 

Thanks again!

Travis, the thing is...third-party authentication (TPA) really only becomes important when you go to sell, as Steve suggested. If you got something IP, you don't need any reassurance for yourself. But when you go to sell, unfortunately a lot of people won't touch an item without PSA/DNA or JSA approval. I have bought four JFK items without a TPA because I knew they were no-doubters. Many collectors on AML do that, but a lot of more novice collectors require that TPA.

Unfortunately, the TPAs are far from perfect, and what happened to you demonstrates that. And I have heard stories from many people who sent in in-person autographs that were deemed inconclusive or likely not genuine. That has to be incredibly frustrating!

Authentication is utterly useless. An authenticator simply provides his/her OPINION on a signature, and as you have already found out, opinions can be wrong. Every single authenticator makes mistakes- PSA, Chris Williams, Roger Epperson, Steven Rocchi,  Beckett and the rest of the seemingly endless supply of professionals out there who earn a living from peoples need to verify what they already know. Authentication costs you ridiculous sums of money to prove absolutely nothing- as you can see by reading this forum, pretty much all the pro authenticators do is fight amongst themselves, degrade each others skills, belittle each other publicly and give the hobby a never-ending supply of black eyes, bad publicity and false bravado.

As to your Wilson jersey, today it has value to you (sentimental) and little actual value-because nobody will ever know, besides you, that the signature is real. You get it authenticated, and one guy says it's real, 5 others say it's not just to make the first guy look bad. Waste of money, IMO. Especially once you consider that 15 years from now, you will care very little about Russell Wilson. And your kids will care even less, as they will have new heroes for their generation. Happens all the time- I've collected Todd Hundley of the Mets since 1987,when he started in the minors) and have perhaps the worlds most extensive collection of his stuff- cards, bats, balls, catchers gear, game-worn uniforms, cleats, gloves, jackets-I've even got his damn high school yearbook! And in 1997, when he broke the record for homers by a catcher, I was given ridiculous offers for my collection, which I passed on. Today, it is essentially worthless, other than of sentiment for me. He is no longer a "hero", long since passed from the game and out of peoples minds.

My advice? Take your jersey and have it framed professionally, at a reasonable cost, and on the back of the frame, have them paste a letter from you indicating the provenance of the autograph- where, when, how, etc it got signed and witnessed by who, add images of the event and jersey if possible. Then try to sell it to someone, take what money you can get from it and put it into a college fund for your kids. That's the best "momento" you will EVER give them...

The best thing about tpa ' s is when they all can agree that a vintage item is authentic, that's where they are most useful on high end item like The Beatles ,Jimi hendrix etc.
As far as having a coa on every item I own I don't bother, the best thing if you want to collect is be around like minded collectors who are in the know.
These days you almost have to approach an artist and ask please sign a nice autograph for me so it will pass authentication when I send it off, not atypical.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service