THE PHILOSOPHY OF MODERN SONG: SIGNED EDITION by Bob Dylan (Not Cheap!)

Views: 31138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree. I bought a Gilmour and it was sent with a refund because they made me wait a bit. My methods include crazy things like seeing the item and/or knowing what it is (or isn't) before I pay. "...Call me irresponsible..."

Bob, bob, what have you done... 

I don't understand why any artist - especially a big name - would risk an autopen publication in 2022, people share online, it was always going to be spotted. 

Does he really need that kind of money, even 500 copies at 600 usd...?

If I were him I wouldn't risk my reputation for 300K - his share being a fraction of that. 

I normally have the utmost respect for the old guard, but at that price point you CANNOT do autopens. It's dishonest and disrespectful to the fans who put you where you are. Not signing anything is ok, definitely better than ripping off your own fans.

Dolly, Bob, who's next?  

Because the regular Joe  In the street isn’t going to know what auto pen is. It’s a very small minority that posts on these groups. Even then a lot of company’s deny it and so will Bob’s as this cost point. It’s not like anybody is taking these people on with the money they have it.

Yup, if even 50% figure out these are autopen and return them which is probably way high of a number, they'll still make a killing off those who never notice, or figure it out in 3 years when they can't return it. Plus if these are autopen they could have signed 50,000 of them, you don't need to limit how many you sign if you're not signing them. Maybe that's why they didn't sell out for 24 hours. They're basically making 10x the profit to have a machine print a signature on them, so why not? Unless they officially recalled them and 100% go back they're still making a fortune off the ones that won't get returned. 

BTW, I work near the Palladium in London where he is playing a number of shows and I dropped by to leave a photo from a previous show, knowing chances were he would never sign it but I’d never get a better chance. Anyway the lovely guy at the stage door told me that they actually have a written instruction from Bob’s management to pass absolutely no post etc to him - it needs to be RTS’d or binned. They’ve never had that before. I was gutted I didn’t bite with this but now I see the only way to know you’re getting an authentic BD is to spend a fortune on one of his limited edition art prints. What a mess.

Agreed. At this pricepoint I expect the "according to the publisher and artists management these are hand-signed by Mr Dylan, but because we value our customers and don't want you to be unhappy you may return for a refund..." answer.

That way they avoid legal action and keep the bulk of the profits.

I agree with all your replies, but I believe reputation sticks, especially bad reputation. I wouldn't risk mine on a relatively small amount all proportions kept, given the man is a millionaire.

Jerry Seinfeld is worth supposedly just under a billion dollars and even he found time to authentically sign a ton of books

My point precisely, it is all down to respect and honesty.

Here is the video. If anyone sees any sign of this being a hoax, please post.. also please direct indigo to this video. If they have inventory, they can compare every detail

I had to cut the video in 4 parts because of upload restrictions

InShot_20221021_024433095.mp4

InShot_20221021_024638815.mp4

InShot_20221021_024752924.mp4

InShot_20221021_024937375.mp4

Not a hoax -- there is no way to reasonably fake something like that. Just looking at the video and the pics again, there are a couple things I can reasonably hone in on:

1) This is a specific edition of the book that was designed around Dylan's signature. It's not an instance where a publisher does the normal print run of a book, then does a special run after the fact to add in signature pages and slap on a special sticker over the UPC. The dust jacket price is very clearly factoring in the value of the signature, which is not something I've ever seen in any other stated signed edition I've bought. (Usually, it will only have the regular cost of the hardcover book, i.e. $30-50).

2) The buyer had it shipped directly from the warehouse to the Waterloo store, which is an option you pick at checkout. I have done so multiple times, picking up books at the Yonge/Bloor location. Generally, the store associates have no idea what you bought, and only look up the confirmation or order number when you go in. If there's a problem (like when I bought my last Atwood book), they'll ask you what you bought, if you want a refund or a replacement book, and they'll either have it delivered again to the same store or shipped out direct.

3) I have a feeling that it was simply a mistake that these were sent out early. I myself have had orders delivered to me before street date; in some cases, nearly two weeks, as happened with my last order.

4) In most cases, pre-signed books will usually be sent with a unique ISBN sticker over the book, have a bookplate pasted in while having the same ISBN as the regular book (with only the company's system noting the difference) or will have a special limitation signature page in the book while still bearing the same ISBN as the regular edition. This appears to be none of those things.

These are great points. I am sure you are correct but part of me still feels that if an employee were to get their hands on both a signed copy and an unsigned copy, they could switch jackets and slip in a fake autographed page to make it look fake, so everyone can cancel. The only problem is, these photos show signs of an autopen and im told that Bob Dylan has never used an autopen before.. so if this is a hoax, and that is a copy of his signature, where did they get a copy of an autopened signature in the 1st place.. ive spent hours and hours on this, every aspect and am beginning to think its almost certain you are right and this is not a hoax..

This is why all of us needs to bombard indigo with phone calls and messages, talk thru live chat.. as many people as possible before these ship.. we need answers

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service