We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Views: 3733

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

EXACTLY Rich, We see it all the time. Take a look at the items PRESS PASS COLLECTIBLES offer for sale on a daily basis, most of the signatures are scribble and if you or I brought them in to be authenticated we'd be laughed at.

Probably pays to be friends with authenticators. If I sent in half their stuff it would be rejected.

Yeah Rick, they'll laugh in our face

There's a good chance that this ball was once offered by Press Pass, as it was sold at auction by Iconic Memorabilia.

That would make sense. I wonder if anyone would have that info or could find it. Press Pass could get anything certed.

Somebody liked it enough to spend $2600 on it.

Maybe because they saw the JSA cert, hmmmm. If it had a coa from Jack and Jills card shop it would've sold for $26.00.

Can't disagree. That is a lot of power. The people buying from the large auction houses are not typical of the collectors on this forum.

Chances of this being authentic as stated by one member, 1 in a Billion with a B and someone paid $2600 for it.

I assume someone with a nice chunk of expendable income.

I hate to spend $20 on something that has even a couple question marks to it, let alone $2600 on a terrible looking, highly questionable item.  But that's just me. 

No disrespect Steve but I don't agree with this statement "I think that if an authenticator thinks an autograph is genuine it's their duty to certify it as such. Let the marketplace decide what it's worth."

People that are not familiar with specific signature's are mainly buying them based on the fact that it comes with some sort of third party authentication and sadly not on the item itself. I think we've seen this many times before where someone either here or another forum has said "well it was authenticated by JSA, PSA/DNA, GAI etc I just assumed it was good". Most armature buyers that buy an occasional item for their collection don't usually compare signatures to others and buy based on the coa. Are you saying GAI/GA thinks that every signature they authenticate is "Genuine" and that's why its there duty to "authenticate" it?

No disrespect taken, Jason.

What I am saying is that a legitimate authenticator should certify what they believe is genuine, based on their knowledge, experience and reliable exemplars. I also think that unless you know what you're buying, it pays to ask communities like this one, professionals that know the autograph well, or knowledgeable friends who collect.

I do not think that Global, either GA or GAI, is/was a legitimate authenticator.

I also don't think that an authenticator should authenticate ANYTHING based on the submittor alone. The autograph has to stand up in its own right.

I agree William. It's the same with the Jeter signatures with the JSA coa I pointed out a couple of weeks ago. The members with knowledge of Jeter agreed with me and the ones that don't think JSA makes mistakes said "We'll it has a JSA sticker I don't see anything wrong with it" or said nothing at all. Which brings me to the point I brought up to Steve earlier today, a lot of people buy items based on it being certed by a 3rd party company and not the item itself. Some people see the JSA or PSA/DNA sticker and say "Well it's JSA or PSA/DNA it must be real".

If it's bad it needs to be called out no matter who put a sticker on it.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service