We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

This is just a general question really, who do you think right now will make a good investment for 50 years?

Now let me rephrase, I don't mean The Beatles or Elvis. I mean more modern artists. Will Radiohead be a band that will be worth what The Stones are worth right NOW in 50 years? Who would be a good modern band to invest in now?

Who will stand the test of time?

Views: 3027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jack White.

Nice J!

I can totally understand why this is a topic of discussion, but I hate it. You know why? It's conversations like this...and people that are autograph dealers (not collectors or fans), that ruin the hobby.

I understand, that wasn't the intention of the post. It was more about who would hold their value, out of curiosity sake. But still.

Collect who you love. Don't worry about value. If we're going to worry about value...if you meet your favorite band, and they want to personalize the album to you -- you have to say "No, no.....don't do that," because it decreases the value. When in reality, what you should be saying is, "Yes, thank you. Make it out to 'Josh'," because it's an item for YOU.

Oh I agree 100%, it was more like my example of Radiohead/Rolling Stones and will these certain artists be as desirable as The Beatles are today or whoever. I am not a dealer, but it was for curiosity reasons to see who people believe will hold up so to speak.

I think the 00-16 is going to be rough to find someone as successful. The early 90's groups have a shot of being on the same level as some of those 60's-70's artists.

Its hard. No one thought anyone would eerge out of rap, but today we gave slim shady, j-z, etc

I agree, definitely buy what you like yourself. I don't like Radiohead because it is such a depressing music so I'll never buy them, but that's personal taste.

Copy/paste from RACC:
That is mostly a question of who will be considered as pioneers in their genre. It's difficult to be a pioneer now of course, most things have already been done by other bands.
My guess is The xx and Arcade Fire are highly underestimated and will become future classic bands. There is also Nick Cave for example, his last 2 albums are really groundbreaking.
And of course Pearl Jam, Oasis, Nirvana,... much more than a band like the Foo Fighters I think.

I really believe any influential bands from the 90's will be like the bands from the 60's. Bands like rage against the machine, tool, Soundgarden ,Matt Cameron drums for both bands Pearl jam and Sg. Jeff buckley! Henry rollins. Smashing pumpkins had massive hits in the decade! REm! Violent femmes!

These days its a one man machine and remixed from someone else.

Jim morrison predicted it years ago!

Yes..collect what you like.
When the white males who came of age in the '60s and '70s pass, so will interest in the bands of the 60's and 70's.
Those who think that the Beatles, Elvis, Stones will be perpetually popular need only look at the value of others who were kings in their own eras.
Al Jolson for instance.
As for who is popular and who will increase...I would not guess that 40 years from now anyone will be hunting for a Mariah Carey or Jay Z signature.
Or Zeppelin, the Eagles, etc.

One goal of mine is to find geniuses whose works fascinate multiple generations. Its hard to do. Not many movies or movie stars survived their generation But some do/  Movies like Gone with the Wind, the Wizard of Oz, African Queen likely be poplar for generations. Not many others.Same with actors.  Those like Charlie Chaplin  will stand ot 100 years from now, but other great talents like Carol Burnett, Lucy Arnez will fade away.

I can see enough of todays generations who are into various bands from 1960s/70s that a few of those bands will popular 50 years fro now.

Fleetwood Mac and Rod Stewart, I suppose both because personally I failed to get either of their autographs when I tried, so I would like them. So yes, collecting what you love is the way to go and besides that, these two artists are stayers!

Trump or Obama

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service