Hey, I’m new here and was given this site as a recommendation from some folks at RACC. My grandmother passed away and I have inherited her collection of signed photos from 1935-1939 as she penciled in on the back of each photo the year. There are approximately 175 photos and most are 5x7. A lot are personalized. Some are preprinted and others are probably secretarial, but I don’t know which are. 

How should I go about getting these authenticated and how should I go about selling them? I collect sports and music memorabilia and only know a few of these names as I’m 30 and don’t really watch Turner Classic Movies. I know that I’m better off selling individually than selling them in bulk. Thank you so much for your help! 

Views: 1006

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry for so many uploads. I’m going to upload 20  tonight from the first stack of them and try and scan some more in later in the weekend

I think the Clark Gable is worth second looks

To me it could be authentic from the early 30's

I'm on the fence

Here is one of his secretarials. Look at the period authentics at thecead.com and note the loops and their formation/slants and relations to each other ("l'' and "bl") and directions of trail off and all. 

Yes I already knew your source

Now have a look at the early 30's examples

The handwriting and letter formations are pretty darn close and very samey and yet very different from this secretarial IMO

This secretarial is too smooth and has an even baseline

Gable was more scribbly 

Have a look at the pointed loops

And Gable did have a more pronounced "k" in his early years

That was one source, yes. I am not saying that is the same secretarial hand - I was alluding to what Joe noted about "Gratefully" and its overall presentation. The pointy loops, yes - look at the straight down left hand sides of those along with the genuine - and the genuines don't echo each other like those here in the OP. The K - look at the formation. Look at the legibility - another trait of secretarials. 

The baseline says volumes.

The Jean Rogers appears to be a secretarial.

Eric and Joe

Are you certain about you opins on Clark Gable?

In my opinion, the Gable is secretarial signed. Just don't think Clark used the word, "Gratefully", either.

There's a couple of more traits that focus the Gable as secretarial. Spacing and the "k" is usually disconnected.

+1

yes usually but not usually in his early years

Baseline speaks. And look at the "a" and "e" in Gable - the relations. And the "le" connection and trail off. The formation of the "G", the first "l" says a lot as well. It is not bubbly and its odd pointy tip is heading in the opposite direction. Again, the creation of the "k".

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service