We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I'm looking to get some opinions on this.  My grandparents ran an auction barn and antique store in the 50s-80s.  When they passed, my father kept some of the cool stuff, which included cut signatures from sports figures like Ruth, Gehrig, etc.  Nothing was authenticated.  He passed away last year and I now own them.  In doing my research on authentication, I believe this industry is almost counter-productive.  Here's why:

1) My father got three or four of them authenticated.  He went to some of the lesser known companies because he was, well, cheap.  They came back authentic.  These are companies on the banned Ebay list and that have been run down on here.  After doing my research, I've come to the conclusion I'm better off selling them as is with the authentication I have then to spend more money to have JSA or PSA authenticate them too, or, in the worst case scenario, have them found to be fake.

2)  I own a ton of autographs, some I know are real because of in-person signings and such, others that are questionable.  Why would I want to spend $200 to have a Ruth autograph looked at?  If it comes back a fake, I'm out $200.  I could sell it now as is and make money, without anyone ever knowing if it's real or fake until someone pays to have it authenticated themselves. 

It seems to me that if the industry wanted to get rid of fakes, it would offer cheaper fees if the item comes up fake.  And with JSA and PSA also known to have made mistakes in the past, who says either one is even right when they make a decision on my items.  Again, I'm posting this not because I want to rip someone off.  I want to understand why in the world it makes sense for me to risk paying $2,000 to get 20 autographs looked at when they could all be fake and I'm out $2,000?  All I'd have to do is put them up on Craigslist for sale, or a local auction, and make money  and move on. 

Views: 1664

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Post scans here. Someone will have a credible opinion if they should be sent in, or "don't waste your money."

honestly, if you have no idea about their authenticity then you shouldn't be in the autograph business, or trying to turn them in for a profit.  You have to understand that we are here trying to PREVENT non-authentic items from changing hands, and getting into the market place.  I'm not sure if you are a true collector, but if you are, there is little worse than having a collection full of "I'm not sures".  Put them up here and you will get some idea of what you have, free of charge. From there you can make an intelligent, ethical decision.

The Leonard is good, the Lazzeri is bad, in my opinion, by the way.

Thanks for the advice.  As I said before, I don't collect, I inherited them.  As for the ones I posted, the Lazzeri comes with an ACE authentication.  I've heard on here they're not good.  The other comes from a company called Hall Nostalgia.  My point is--I could turn around and sell the Lazzeri with the authentication and not know any differently.  But since I came on here and researched, I wanted to learn more before doing that to someone.  So I have a conscience.  But it comes down to this--who do you believe?  Someone who's licensed to do that, people on here, or just JSA and PSA?  I have no clue after reading all the info on here.

If your not confident there good...and your gut is telling you there bad...and you didn't spend a dime on them...and your not willing to spend a dime on getting them looked at...then throw them in the fire place or use them to light your next BBQ this summer...if you seriously don't want to spend money on a potential gold mine then your most definitely in the wrong hobby...any collector that came across this would do anything and everything to know there good...since your a guy of percentages...take 10 of those autos and have 3 or 4 of them looked at...if there bad...chances are there all bad...I can see you have a gambler mentality and we all know percentage wise...gambling playing poker is easily manipulated to bluff your way to profit...autographs are not even close to compare it to...you cash out on facts...not a poker face...

Again, I've read about auction houses who sell unauthenticated as-is, buy at your own risk signatures.  These places are unethical?

Why don't you try to consign them to a reputable auction house? That way it won't cost you a penny to find out what's likely good or bad, and the good ones will sell for market prices.

Thank you for a rash and sensible response Steve.  If you could name a couple, that would be very helpful.  I appreciate your non-judgmental attitude.  I'm really just here looking for advice because it's really confusing when there are tons of companies out there and they all seem to be bad.

Here, let's do an experiment.  I've posted a pic with two of the autographs.  One of them has been certified via a well-known authenticator banned from Ebay and consistently derided on here.  The other comes with authentication from a company I've never heard from before.  You guys tell me what you think of each one...

What does this prove or have to do with your original scenario? Apparently you are just looking for an excuse to sell your autographs without having them checked out.

Zipper I think you are wasting your time here.

I agree.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service