We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Eric Clapton autographed slab, real?

Tags: Clapton, Eric, Grpah, I, am, eying, for, purchase, real?

Views: 1131

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

$750.00

That does not seem right at all?

Looking at RE' offerings and closed auctions at RR - why is this $750? I am seeing vintage fuller/fully signed LP's and SP's for about half that? This is a signed cut of just "Eric"? What I am missing?

Eric

Nicholas, I bought this 1985 tour book signed by the touring band from Roger Epperson for $525. I understand what you are trying to do. But for a cut it may be a bit overpriced.
Attachments: No photo uploads here

+1

A vintage tour signed book, a product, signed by Clapton in 82 (a huge full signature as well), with the band, for so $525, such an image, such qualities/texture and from such a source...and this simple "Eric" cut is....$750?

Nicholas, I respectfully suggest that you may know what you want, but you don't seem to know what to pay. Until the other day, you thought you had a vintage SP from the 70's that cost less than this by a decent bit. Does that make sense? It suggests more pricing homework needs doing. My .02, and just trying to help you get the most for your $.

Best wishes,

Eric

Hi Nicholas,

This is the list I mentioned (after authenticity confirmation of course)

In no order here are some things I think about:

Original/virgin /untrimmed photo/item (no tape, folds spots, restoration etc – considering item/age/other factors)?

Full signature? Rushed?

Vintage as possible?

Is the autograph contemporary to the item/photograph or added later?

Best condition possible (considering above etc.)?

Best quality photo (1st generation/original release/candid)/”Official” item”/product (tour book/program/album, CD, ticket, promo, key photo etc.)?

Best inscription (if any possible)/dedication/dated?

Fountain, ballpoint or fiber/felt? Pencil?

Optimal contrast/placement? Ink color clash with item/image?

Clear example/preferably no smudging from signing/fading/etc.?

What else can I buy with this amount of $?

Is this common? Something anyone might have? What special qualities are there?

Recent auction/sale results for like material? AM I OVERPAYING?

Is the signature interesting/unusual/unique without the photo/item (IS IT "JUST" A CUT? Context?)?

Frequency of items with comparable presentation?

Comparison to similar for quality - mediocre or exceptional?

How does this fit in with other items I have collected using similar criterion? Display?

It the item is too big? Small? Is the autograph lost or overpowering?

Best wishes,

Eric

The complete collection below was less than half the cost of this Clapton cut (yes, that a ticket for Bowie's last proper performance which was w/Gilmour 2006 OAI tour):

To tell you the truth, Erick, as long as it suits me and I like it a lot, it fine.  Of course, I'm gonna do some research on it.  Once I establish it's genuine in most parts, I study another part of the graph.

Nicholas,

I agree that the slabbed Clapton is pricey, but it's a great looking example of his autograph and it's on a 4x6 card, so the autograph is at least 2.25-inches tall. Take your ruler out and see how big that is.

It's signed in black Sharpie on a white card and the autograph is at the perfect angle. It's not a full-name signature but it's a highly desirable version of his autograph. And there's no TPA sticker on the front!

The seller is Presspasscollectibles.com. They have it on about a thousand websites and their own, priced from $749 to over $1,000. There's a good chance you can save at least $100 by going direct and negotiating. I'd want to buy it in the $550 range but there's nothing wrong with paying what something is worth to you. It's your money and your passion.

One last thing: Ask for a high-resolution version of the autograph to make sure there isn't too much feathering. It's hard to tell in the image supplied.

I must agree with Steve - your criterion your $.

But I must say, Roger has a beautiful vintage 6x9 sheet of white paper bearing a full Eric Clapton signature, both names, with a dedication... $375

That seems better than a recent loose cut "Eric" on an index card at $750? Price aside, size, vintage, full name, dedication, qualities?

Eric

That's nice, but I like this one on his site better than that, and it's $340. I don't know how big it is but it looks like a 3x5 index card:

For dramatic framing with a photo, though, I like the one Nicholas picked out better. It will stand out from across the room.

Hi Steve,

I agree - either. I like your selection for framing - I chose the one I did because it seemed Nicholas wanted a vintage full signature originally.

I just look at the image below (click for full view). Certainly different items, ages, qualities, "success"/"beauty" etc, and clearly desired/valued differently by many. Indeed, to each his own.

I didn't realize that. If he wants a vintage full signature, Roger's 1992 would be a great example, and value.

The slabbed autograph would be the one for me.

Hi Steve,

I can't respond to your post below for some reason re '92 sig etc. Nicholas did want a vintage sig from what I could gather, now I am not sure what he wants. That why I wrote my earlier post - from vintage 8x10 (the returned print of a forgery) to a modern loose abbreviated cut took me by surprise. I like the slabbed cut for what it is too - but would never pay $750 for it.

Eric

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service