We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

So not only is this not Freddie Mercury's handwriting, but it is also packed full of incorrect information about Mercury. Whoever wrote this claims to be Freddie and claims to have gone to school in Switzerland? Mercury never attended school there. This can't be a genuine Epperson LOA right?

Update: The LOA was from Roger Epperson and the item was indeed fake (please see thread for proof and details). Both Epperson and Gold agreed the item was not genuine and buyer was refunded in a timely manner.

Tags: Freddie, Mercury, Queen

Views: 6768

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are doing this the exact right way Innuendo! We know you're just trying to do what's best for the Queen collectors.

I have the deepest respect for both you and Roger, hopefully this can be solved in the best possible way!

Take care!!
Thanks for that, Jan

Authenticity is everything. If you issue an opinion, you should be able to back it up. Not at a moment's notice, but within a reasonable time.

Innuendo,

Would you mind sending a PM to RecordMecca on eBay to tell them about your concerns and point them to this discussion? Or use the contact form on their website, recordmecca.com. It goes right to Jeff Gold, the owner.

Even if he's confident on its authenticity, Jeff will probably take it off sale until the controversy is resolved or addressed.

Will do, Steve.
Writing the seller now, and sent an email to Roger earlier. As for the history part, I don't expect either of them to have picked up on that to be fair. It's us Queen fans who collect biographies and interviews with his family ect ect that would pick up on that. As for the handwriting, it's entirely possible that Roger just believed it to have been rushed. This is not the worst attempt at his handwriting I've seen, believe me. Still, not genuine.

It doesn't look rushed to me. If there's no way anyone here believes that it's real, then it needs to be addressed. Nothing wrong with that.

Please have a look at this for comparison. The fake letter is shown here in the top left hand corner. It was signed with a Freddie forgery that most closely resembles an early 80s style signature. A genuine example of his early 80s handwriting and signature can be seen under that (labeled 1983/82). Top right hand corner, you'll see his genuine handwriting in 88/89 and below that, another genuine example from the late 80s just to compare. These are some of the same examples I already posted, but put in a collage. You'll notice similarities even between the genuine early 80s example and his late 80s exmaples. But none to the letter. Hope this is easier to view than all the other examples posted separately.
Jeff Gold here. I got this letter from a very reputable source who purchased it along with two others to the same woman. Roger Epperson felt it authentic as well. That said, I would never intentionally sell anything that isn't authentic (and guarantee everything I sell forever), so I have taken it off eBay while I research it further. Innuendo, who I don't know, sent me four emails through EBay and I just sent him this response.

Thanks for your notes. I saw the thread you started and seem to be single-handed maintaining on the Autograph Magazine site. First off, obviously the Roger Epperson letter is authentic. It's ludicrous to question that because of the font or signature, as he will tell you. Second, as I don't know you, only your appropriate "Innuendo" screen name, can you tell me what your qualifications are as a Freddie Mercury handwriting expert? I know what Roger's are. I agree the Switzerland mention seems to be missing from his bio, but what his former assistant might have told you at a convention proves nothing. I'm going to take the listing down now out of an abundance of caution and do some more research, but I got this from an extremely reputable source who I trust implicitly. It is one of three letters he had, sent to the same person Also can you point me toward the others in the Queen community who you say are talking about this? Kind thanks, Jeff
Hi Jeff. I responded to your message on ebay. As I said before, I apologize for the multiple messages, but ebay would not allow me to send messages longer than so many characters and I didn't want to leave anything out. I appreciate you removing the item for now. I did include the pictures you requested on ebay, but I'll attach them here as well. Like I told you earlier, although some people seem to think you're selling the item makes you a bad seller- I have stood up and told them that's not the case here.

Hi again,

Are there examples earlier than 1982? Looking at the earlier letter in the scans you posted, perhaps the more interesting this all looks?

Eric

Hi Eric. Here is another genuine exmaple from the early 80s (81/80) to Joe F, his lover. And here's some examples from the 70s as well. I thought I'd posted these already, but I'll have to double check. And the final exmaple here is from the late 70s to his then lover David Minns. You'll notice again he reserved "My Dearest" for his loved ones vs his fans and colleagues

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service