We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Views: 849

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

These definitely do not look real to me.

Let's be honest, a genuine set on a signed album would be worth slightly more than £3K?

Bad forgeries!

Just got a reply to my e mail asking him for more information.

"HI Paul,7th September 1963 at Fairfield Halls Croydon. I lived in Horley Surry went with my then girl friend and a work mate and his girlfriend. The concert was a Mersey beat one, all the Liverpool bands were there. I was 16 at the time. Over the next few years at the halls and the Orchid Ballroom Purley saw Many main acts STEVE WONDER OTTUS READING IKE AND TINA TURNER and many more. Happy days. Retired now so selling a few things to boost pension as bank collapse left me short to what I was expecting. You can make me an offer if you like. Cheers Paul "

I hate it when vendors come up with creative stories about their items that simply can't be true (because the autographs are not genuine). Facts about where The Beatles performed are easily available, even convincing little annecdotes about particular performances can be found from people who published their experiences.

It puts you into a position where you either have to call them liars or pretend to believe their story but say you are not interested in their items for some other reason.

Besides the Beatles, this show that the seller claims featured "all the Liverpool bands" included Ian Crawford and the Boomerangs, Ted King, Mike Berry and the Innocents, Rockin' Henry and the Hayseeds and Patrick Dane's Quiet Five.

BallroomDays67 , you were there too? Lol.

Yep. Do you want to buy some autographs?

No, but I pay really well for a good story!

There is a lot of this going on. Pick up an old Beatles LP at a car boot sale and forge their signatures. And of course there always the story. The fresh colour of the ink is a good clue. 

I once travelled 250 miles to see a set of autographs (pre-internet, pre-fax even). The guy told me this great story that involved John Lennon spraying vinegar around the room when he got the autographs. It was a really entertaining story and so well told.

Actually the autographs were genuine... but were signed at least two years before the gig that he said he got them! Some people just can't help themselves.

I can't speak to the autographs in question, but it is very common to get a phony story attached to good autographs. Not sure why... Maybe the seller thinks a story will "sell" better than saying they were obtained through the mail or purchased from a dealer years ago...

In any case, the lesson is to ignore the story and focus on the signature.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service