We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Purchased "Authentic" autographed by The Rolling Stones that PSA/DNA discredited

A few months back I picked up an encased guitar signed by The Rolling Stones at a store called Antiquities International in the Forum shops at Caesars Palace for roughly $2500. I have to admit that I have no experience when it comes to autographs but because the store was located in a major hotel among some of the finest stores (Prada, Coach, Tiffanys, etc.) and that I researched the store's reputation on the web, I wrongly assumed I was dealing with a reputable dealer. After the purchase they shipped it to me and I proudly hung it in my den and enjoyed seeing it whenever I entered the room.
A couple of weeks ago I was on the web again and came across an article that caused some concern about the guitars that are sold as authentic often aren't, regardless of where they're purchased so I decided to seek out someone or a service that can verify the signatures authenticity. I learned that a company PSA/DNA would be in the Chicago area on May 22nd (yesterday) and that their stamp of approval would remove any doubt about the autographs. I paid $200 to the store owner where PSA/DNA was working that day, gave him the guitar and waited patiently for about thirty minutes for the outcome. Upon his return he gave me the guitar and, to my disappointment informed me that it didn't pass scrutiny. With that he sent me on my way with a promise I would receive documentation in the mail to that effect. When I reached my car I immediately called Antiquities International where I bought the guitar and the person went on to tell me that PSA/DNA aren't the last word when it came to forensic analysis and that I would need to find someone with credentials that would hold up in court to credit or discredit the authenticity of the autographs. I learned later in the day that I might have a chance for a refund because I used an American Express card to buy it but I'll need the documentation first. I can't even put into words how disappointed I am with this issue. I invite any comments, suggestions, expertise, or guidance in this matter but I have little hope that it will end well. That said, I still would like to purchase the real thing and in addition to your comments ask where I might find one that is above reproach as far as its authenticity. I thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this and hope for the best.
Sincerely, Joe

Tags: Antiquities, Rolling, Stones, guitar, international

Views: 3686

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree and that's why their decision was so disappointing. Thanks for the reply.
Why someone can't do something about this dealer is beyond me. We all know what's going on.

I don't. Please enlighten me (with evidence).

A Rolling Stones signed guitar for $2500 is probably all the evidence you'll need.

If you think they sell authentic signatures, you should go to their website and buy everything they have because you could flip it all and make a mint.

Whats not to understand? The man might have been sold bad autographs. Please show a pic of the guitar, the cert is worthless. Antiquities does not have a good reputation. For an authentic stones guitar its gonna be more than 2500 dollars. Bravado and the Stones website do have Lithos that are genuine for sale. The 3 litho set without Wood you could get for 2500. Kick up a stink and don't give up and hopefully you will get your money back.

The key word is "might".

All we have to go off is PSA's word.

Actually Im being polite, All I had to read was Antiquities to clue me in. I hope to see this guitar. If he shows it I bet its fake.

Ian,

I posted two pics of the guitar this morning May 24 @ 1:20PM CST. I hope they transmitted and posted properly.  If you're inclined to do so, let me know if you have the opportunity to see them.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Joe

Thanks Ian for both for your opinion and information.  I've looked many times at the lithos offered on The Stones site.  If I remember correctly they guarantee that one of the band members will have signed them but it doesn't say which one of them.  I would rather have Messrs. Jagger or Richards over Watts or Woods but that's not to say that I'd be happy with any one of them, just that Jagger and Richards are more desireable to me.  There's also the question of authenticity.  You would think that if the lithos are coming from the Stones site that they'd be legit but I'm a little snakebit now and it would be just as easy for these to be forgeries as well.  I'd be interested to hear Mr. Cyrkin's opinion about the signed memorabilia available directly from The Rolling Stones website.  Thanks again Ian, you've given me something to think about.

I believe each litho is signed by one of the three. You get three sigs. But double check to be sure.

I didn't say one way or another. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth. I don't buy from dealers, so I'm afraid I can't take your advice.

However I don't subscribe to the "price too low=automatic forgery" frame of mind. If you can get the piece for (let's say) $800 in expenses, then you still make a nice profit at $2500 & are more likely to sell it than you are if you put it at "market value".

Think about it: there's no point in pricing something for maximum profit if it'll just sit on your shelf when you can price it to move & still clear expenses & make a really nice profit.

So, no, that's not all the evidence I need. In fact, it's not evidence at all.

They have an endless supply of signed Led Zeppelin albums,...year after year, super affordable...

So yeah, I have a point.

Mike, you're something.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service