We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

How do you identify a bad autograph dealer? Whether you're at their website, in their gallery or store, or they're selling at events or conventions, there are signs to look for and questions to ask that will minimize your odds of being taken by the crooks. Share your tips, questions and experiences here.

Tags: bad, buying, dealers, forgeries, galleries, safe, tips

Views: 13321

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting company. I was just looking at this Doors framed display that is currently on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220951260250

Under eBay's list of guidelines for information that should be included when listing an autographed item, the very first one is "a clear photo of the actual autographed item."

Not only is the photo unclear, but the following is stated in the listing:

NOTE: This is a Limited Edition Display and Each is Unique and Custom Framed at time of order, so Signature Placement may very (sic) slightly from the one pictured.

Does this mean that the buyer will receive a different set of autographs than those pictured in the auction? (There's actually a better picture of these autographs on the company's website, and in this case a different set in my opinion would be a good thing.) How many Jim Morrison signatures do they have available for this "limited edition"?

Also, why has Robby signed next to John's picture, and vice versa?

I know this is an old thread, but I took a look at the Millionaire Gallery today.  It's my strong opinion that all six of the U2 items they listed are fake (I'm certain that the full band signed items are).  The Aaron Rodgers items also appear to be fake.

I've checked the music and entertainment autographs many times at Millionaire Gallery and the only ones I thought were real were the Pacinos from the private signing.

I don't recall specifically what Rodgers autographs I was looking at, but the thing that still throws me off are the awfully jagged "R"s on a couple of the autographs, and the relatively uncommon "12" inscription.  On the other hand, I've seen Steiner selling a wacky looking Rodgers, so sometimes I just throw up my hands and say "whatever."  If I blew that call, then I apologize.

U2 full band is easier to authenticate than solo Bono, because 1) the forger usually badly whiffs on one or more of the signatures or consistently makes the same mistake 2) Bono's signing styles can be a bit erratic.  Looking at the remaining Bono on the website, my assessment on it was probably based on the context of the other bad-looking band signed items.  I guess the thing I can't quite still get past is that it's a less than ideal example, something akin to what I might expect an Ebay racker to end up with.  From past examples I've seen, Bono tends to sign a nice, full signature for charity items when he knows they're for charity.  Not saying that's the case for every such example, just a general trend.

Thanks for your response and input.  

Hi Michael, You're very welcome. Unfortunately, I have to disagree that any of the pictured signatures are authentic. I would be very interested to see the documentation showing otherwise. Again, it appears as though someone had Robby and John confused. Thanks, Mark

The signed card does not appear in RR Auction's past auction results database. Do you have the COA or auction number? If it was purchased through RR Auction, I would suggest that you return it to them.

My opinion is based on the appearance of the signatures. I was just pointing out what I consider to be a more obvious problem with the item.

Steve, it's great to see the continuing effort in AM on these subjects. It has to be the equivalent of stamping out Ant nests. No matter how many times one pours insectiside on the nest it always seems a new nest pops up nearby. Trying to remember if it was Stan's Sporting Goods in Philly that was caught up in "foul ball" that was shut down as well. Problem there was their legitimate items became tainted with the forged. I recall one ball I sent back around that time due to the coa from Stans popped up later on EBAy with a "revised COA".

What would be nice albeit risky is one spot where we could check in and find the "wall of shame" that consolidates the "alleged", "indicted" and hopefully convicted along with printed articles. E.g. below is a list from the FBI's operation Bullpen that grew out of the "foul ball" initiative. The part that is unsetlling is the number of pieces $10million they confiscated before they made it's way into the public domain. That being said one has to wonder how many millions did make it and now that this group is from nine years ago are they still at it or have seen the "light" and how do you know. Then one has the COAs that have been already altered, names changed and new business started.

Then this clip from the NY Daily News on PSA that ran in Aug '08 on the "opinionators" aka Authenticators makes it even more disturbing;

PSA was formed in 1991 to protect collectors from card doctors, counterfeiters and other cheats. But the company has been a lightning rod for controversy. Collectors and dealers say PSA inflates grades for cards submitted by big-volume customers such as Mastro Auctions.

The first card the company graded - another 1909 Wagner, at the time owned by NHL great Wayne Gretzky - had been cut from a sheet and later doctored, according to "The Card," a book by two Daily News reporters. The Wagner, which PSA graded an 8 (on a scale of 1-10) sold for a record $2.8 million last year, even though a former PSA authenticator has said the company knew the card had been doctored.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2008/08/03/2008-08-03_fe...

Operation Foul ball: The first group of individuals was scheduled to be arraigned on fraud and tax charges on or about April 11, 2000. This group of individuals includes forgers:

Greg Marino
Angelo Marino
Mike Moses
Mike Lopez
David Tabb
Richard Mitchell
This group also includes a number of authenticators and distributors:

1. Wayne Bray
Authenticator and Wholesaler, dba:
a. Sports & Celebrity Authentic Autographs, San Marcos, California and
b. WW Sports Cards, San Marcos, California

2. John Marino, Gloria Marino, Kathleen Marino
Assisted Forgers and Wholesalers, dba:
a. Front Page Art
Greg Marino, Angelo Marino

3. Mike Moses
Forger, Wholesaler, and Authenticator, dba
a. Sports Management Group, Aliso Viejo, California
b. Universal Authentic Memorabilia, San Clemente, California
c. Sports Alley, Laguna Niguel, California

Robyn Moses, Wholesaler

4. Reno Ruberti
Wholesaler, d.b.a.
a. Universal Authentic Memorabilia, San Clemente, California
Karen Ruberti

5. David Tabb*
Forger, Wholesaler, and Authenticator, d.b.a.
a. Hollywood Dreams, Santa Ana, California
b. Classic Memorabilia, Santa Ana, California
c. Hollywood Collectibles, Santa Ana, California
*Tabb was the subject of two television investigative reports regarding the sale of forged memorabilia in the lobbies of theaters in California and Arizona.

6. Ricky Mitchell
Forger and Wholesaler

7. Mike Lopez
Forger and Wholesaler, d.b.a.
a. International Sports Marketing, Rosemead, California

8. Mike Bowler
Distributor and Wholesaler, d.b.a.
a. Catch a Star, Oceanside, California
b. JMC Distributors, Oceanside, California
c. J & M Sports Cards, Oceanside, California

9. Ricky Weimer
Wholesaler, d.b.a.
a. Rick's Collectibles, Escondido, California

10. Sheldon Jaffe
Wholesaler, d.b.a.
a. Shelly's Cards, Tustin, California

11. Richard Laughlin
Wholesaler, d.b.a.
a. Framed Images, San Juan Capistrano, California

12. Michael Tapales
Wholesaler and "Runner", d.b.a.
a. Prime Time Sports Cards, Buena Park, California

13. Carmen "Chip" Lombardo
Wholesaler, d.b.a.
a. Home Field Advantage, Del Mar, California

14. Jon Hall
Retailer, d.b.a.
a. Del Mar Sports Cards, San Diego, California

15. Lowell Katz
Retailer, d.b.a.
a. The Beautiful and the Unusual, Long Beach, California

16. Bruce Gaston
Retailer, d.b.a.
a. La Jolla Sports Cards, La Jolla, California

17. Frosty Golembeske
Retailer, Wholesaler, d.b.a.
a. Frosty's

18. Anthony Marino
Wholesaler d. b. a.
a. Pro Sport Memorabilia

19. Scott Harris
Wholesaler, d. b. a.
a. Universal Authentic Memorabilia
Mary Lou Harris
a. Universal Authentic Memorabilia
You can add James C. Bellino to that list steve. My wife bought me a signed joe dimaggio photo a couple of years ago. Affixed to the back was a coa from "forensic document services" James Bellino signed it as president and ceo. After some basic research on the internet, i was able to find out that he was one of the people the fbi had named along with don frangiapani!!

google "jim bellino operation bullpen" , its the second or third one down. I think it reads "bullpen"
Steve - While you're discussing the abilities (or lack thereof) of Mr. Morales, I urge readers of this blog to view Coach's Corner Auction's website. Sort their listings using the keyword "Morales" and you'll be amazed at the items he has approved. Amazed!
http://cgi.ebay.com/STEVE-WINWOOD-SIGNED-AUTOGRAPH-NEW-RARE-DRUM-HE...
What the heck is this? I know Winwood has a cruddy signature but look at this................
I'm no expert, but I looked at a number of their autographs. This Winwood looks nothing like I've seen. The Clint Eastwood looks way off to me, as does the Sean Connery, Travolta, George Clooney and every one I looked at that I recognized. Ugh.
http://cgi.ebay.com/RAY-DAVIES-SIGNED-AUTO-NEW-RARE-DRUM-HEAD-THE-K...
What cracks me up is:
1) "IF" this was a real signature, how dare the artist sign such crap.
2) "IF" its a fake, what a bunch of crap. Period.
Either way, who really buys such garbage?

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service