We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

THE PHILOSOPHY OF MODERN SONG: SIGNED EDITION by Bob Dylan (Not Cheap!)

Views: 31117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Based on this guys profile, if true, he's located in Waterloo Ontario. Most likely, if he did pick this up from indigo, it was from the Waterloo store, here's the info of anyone wants to try and get some i formation 

indigo - conestoga

550 King St N, Waterloo, ON N2L 5W6, Canada

1 (519) 746-0641

so I've tried to be as thorough with this as I possibly could. Some of you might be sick of hearing from me today lol.. I've devoted way too much time on this but feel it was necessary to try and give everyone a heads up if I could find any inconsistency at all. here's the facts

This book isn't released anywhere until Nov 1st. No one seems to have a physical copy yet for either the signed or unsigned versions, aside from this one. I'm sure, as it was mentioned before, there could be some type of a promotional copies floating around to show off an an example. This would be a question for the actual store manager and the publisher.. do these copies exist? if so, do they have a facsimile signature?

If this was reproduced as a prank, I can not find fault with it aside from 1 aspect (only a possibility which ill mention below). The UPC bars match the number, which matches the product info. There are a ton of UPC generators out there and this isn't a difficult aspect to reproduce. I was hoping there would be a fault within the UPC, but there doesn't seem to be.

The only questionable aspect is the bottom left corner of the page with Dylan's signature, near the spine.. In one of the pictures, It looks as if that page may be misaligned with the other pages. Its possibly something else in the background is distorting the view so I can not be sure. One of my theories was that this could have been a regular unsigned copy with an altered book cover, The autographed page could have been printed and cut to size, placed in the unsigned book. He never tugs at that page in the video, The pages are handled very carefully. This is an unlikely theory but one that could be possible. However, the unsigned issue of this book hasn't been released yet either. He would have to get his hands on that one somehow as well. Could he work for the store? Could he have access to inventory? its possible... This could be a hoax set up by an employee to make customers cancel their pre-orders, just so Indigo employees can purchase these cancelled orders later on. With a book with this much value associated with it, I think its more than a possibility and it really should be looked into further.

The issue with this, If its a conspiracy, It may be something all employees know about. If we call the Waterloo store and this is the case, They might give us all false info. Some of you may think im crazy, but I'm sure these employees are watching, They can see listings on eBay. If I could turn $500 into $5000 from just one sale, these employees could be thinking they could get an entire years income from multiple sales. I have to tell you, if I was a 20 year old in retail and knew how much this was worth, Id be trying to figure out a way to obtain a bunch of copies. I wouldn't go as far as hurting others, but I know many people out there would and this has potential to be the case. 

if anyone is willing to call the waterloo store or stop by in person to inquire about these books and feel out how the employees react when these are mentioned, that would be great. If not, I honestly wouldn't recommend anyone cancel their orders. Its up to you though. I'm keeping mine in place and will see what happens. There is way too much hype about these for Indigo and Dylan to get away with $500 autopens.

EDIT: if the store has both copies, signed and unsigned in their inventory, It could be as easy as swapping book covers. All that would have to be done at that point is slip in a fake autographed page in an unsigned book which would be extremely easy to produce

All I have heard is this has blown up on RACC as an Autopen, which I don't know.

Zoomed in, it honestly does look like an autopen, I haven't found a duplicate on any other item anywhere online but I'm trying. I really hope to prove this has been reproduced as a hoax. I'm not going to lie, I want these to be real.. we all do.. 

Over 30 years as a collector, you see many many desperate attempts at fraud. Some are very elaborate. Im sure you've seen it all as well Eric.. I've been groomed to always be skeptical about everything in this hobby. Its not a switch I can flip off. I'm just more vocal about it now. 

Most likely, all information will turn out to be accurate. This will shock the community being an autopen. It will start a whole other fight. We should all be protected in the end and receive our money back but it will truly be a huge disappointment. I'm holding on to some hope for all of us but in reality, its not looking too good right now. This is a lot of money to be playing around with. Its something for everyone with a preorder to think about. Are you ready for a fight? I know I am.. returns will be easy though. Maybe we will even end up with a free book.. who knows.

I for one am very grateful for the time you have spent on this.  Am choosing  to believe that the store didnt know it was an autopen if it turns out this is the case.  This is going to be very bad for overseas cusomers of whom I am one, as we have currency conversion and customs issues to deal with on top of the price of the book.  Trying to stay hopeful!!!

I completely understand your point.. This is going to be a gamble.. but aren't they always?

Actually I didnt  believe I was gambling as most people didnt think Dylan would use an autopen.  GRRRRR.  Also, talking for myself, I wouldnt have paid anything like that kind of money had I believed it could be an autopen.  It was all too good to be true. I am wondering whether to try and cancel to avoid minimum of 30 per cent custom charges.  

if anyone knows of any other time Dylan used an autopen, please post it

Michelle, definitely cancel. If they're autopens represented as real autographs that's fraud. Perhaps not by the retailer, but by the publisher.

see how GREAT your site is again in this case Steve Cyrkin, Admin !!!

I believe that WE as a collective community here on AutogLive have just saved members from being defrauded !!! (Who knows what other scenario could have played out...people shelling out hundreds of dollars, and receiving an autopenned "autograph" , and they would never know it was just a fraud!)

Together we can move mountains!

If something is advertised as hand signed, then that's exactly what it should be. 

You don't go to your local car dealer and order a brand new Porsche, to end up being given a 1994  Skoda and say oh well never mind and keep it! 

Buying is the same for everything - it should be 100% as advertised - be it an Autographed item, Porsche or a tin of red paint. 

Makes sense, I didn't understand why my brand new Porsche had a Skoda logo :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service