We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

I'm interested in these vinyls that are supposedly signed by all 4 members (David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, and Michael Anthony). Since I wanted to gift one of these to a huge Van Halen fan, I really do not want them to be fake. It would make me look stupid and I would be devastated/angry...all that good stuff. Okay, so the items in question are: 

Women & Children First Vinyl (please ignore that the auction ended) & Van Halen Vinyl & Van Halen II

I know they say to beware of Ebay auctions, but I have no idea where else to find autographs. And who knows, you may find a diamond within all the fakes. 

I understand this isn't a certified authentication, but I would very much appreciate your personal or even professional opinions! 

Tags: Alex, Anthony, Autograph, David, Ebay, Eddie, Halen, Lee, Michael, Roth, More…Van, Vinyl

Views: 3716

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My only concern is that this person must really have studied his s***! Because they say to look for a dot somewhere under or near Alex's signature (which if you look to the right there is one) and the date under Roth's signature. 

I see the dot now.  Eddie usually adds something to his signature as well.  Sometimes it's a date.  Sometimes it's "5150".  He added "VH 2012" to his signature on my CD.  I just don't have a good feeling about these pieces Amanda.  That's just my personal opinion.  Sorry.

Don't be sorry! It's all very much appreciated! I just have no idea where to look for a genuine piece now. It's so disheartening, especially when you want to hold a piece of history and someone can deceive you so easily. 

Hi Amanda, i definetly would listen to the above posters, they are experienced and know their stuff. but you can always run it past roger epperson to see what he thinks, and he only charges a small fee to do an opinion, and hes the best in the buisness. my personal opinion is that these arent authentic. And the price tag on his past items is always a huge tell all. If your selling full Kiss signed items for example for under 100 bucks, he would instantly be sold out. Dealers, if no one else would snatch them up instantly at that price and sell them for twice that. So that is a big clue right their to stay away.

Also about the date. Never let that fool you although it can lure you in. Many artists sign the date by their names, but this really means little unless they always do it (thus giving you a pattern to go by). To a forger, putting in a date by the signature is no problem whatsoever and they do it all the time. Personalizations however can be a different story, but your not even safe their b/c forgers have learned that alot of people dont suspect items that have been personalized. You really cant trust anything anymore. You just have to let the items signature do the talking. Looking at their past items is also a very wise thing, and their current items. If you see top names going for fractions of what they are worth, most of the time something is up. Hope this helps and good luck

What do we think of these? I'm really doing my research and I'm starting to learn a lot. 

The only thing I don't exactly like is the "8" looks similar. Or am I just overthinking that? 

THEN: 

I asked the dealer for a PSA certificate number and he gladly gave it to me. I checked on the site and it says genuine. He also said it has a JSA sticker on the back. Also came up as genuine. Diamond in the rough? 

The second one that is only signed by David should be good. That is how he sign his name. I'm not all sure about the other one with Eddie and David. Eddie usually just write VH and not the whole Van Halen.

The first three are no good in my opinion.

I've seen Eddie write 'Van Halen' on many occasions so that is not sufficient information to determine authenticity.

You are correct Michael.  I did a little research last night and I was able to find a few examples of him adding "Van Halen" to his signature.  I had never seen it before.  Here is a Diver Down album that has been authenticated by a very reputable dealer.  The more I look at the top piece the more I like it.  I wish that others would comment on the two pieces as well.

That 8 still gets me though. Especially compared to this one. 

You may be right Amanda.  Also take a close look at the "H".  On the Diver Down album it appears to be very similar to the "V" until he stars it in the same way that Dave treats his "th".  He did the same thing with the "VH" on mine below.  On the 1984 piece the "H" appears to be two parallel lines.  I'm also not convinced about the way that Dave's signature returns in a curve after the "t" is crossed.  I personally have too many concerns and would stay away from it unless I trusted the source. 

I agree with Bjarne.  I'm not sold on the top piece because of the "Van Halen" inscription.  The "8"s don't concern me as much as Eddie's inscription.  I'm not saying that it's not authentic.  Just a little suspicious.  I like the album better but that "h" looks a little odd.  These are much better looking than the three originally posted though.

Here are mine for the sake of comparison.  These are the real deal.

Again I have gotten eddie on many occasions and almost every time I got 'Van Halen' and the year as an inscription from Eddie (he did do 'VH' a couple of times). So I will again caution those who choose to let that be their guide to determining authentic signatures.

I really love it when people make comments about how a certain person 'always' does something when they sign. Time and again this usually proves to be false.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service