We are an eBay affiliate and may be compensated for clicks on links that result in purchases.

Raptis Rare Books has this beautiful signed Eva Peron portrait for $2500. It's quite handsome with a nice inscription.

I've never heard of Raptis Rare Books until I did a google search for Eva Peron autographs.

Views: 108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's similar that sold for $296 at RRauction (although with condition issues)

https://www.rrauction.com/auctions/lot-detail/32299270368304-eva-pe...

I'm somewhat familiar with them having found them online a few years back.

For what it's worth...imho, know your subject well regarding signatures.

Raptis is a high-end dealer with pretensions to be a “gallery” for rare books.  They get some interesting stuff in, but it’s always priced at the top end of the market.  I’ve also seen a few suspect items amongst their inventory before now, so do your research thoroughly, just as you would for any other purchase.  Don’t be blinded by their fancy listings, which often feature a glut of biographical information, but zero provenance for the item itself.

As you say, "high-end". What is very remarkable about them is that they are not a member of any professional association such as ABA or ILAB. That is actually extraordinary.

$2500 is a drop in the ocean for them, though, and although I have never traded with them or even know that much about them, I would know if they had a reputation for passing on dodgy material.  What I have found with a lot of dealers like them, however, is that they can be breath-takingly arrogant about their own choices. If they have vetted an item and put it out for sale then that is the end of the matter - don't dare question their judgement.

I wrote to someone of their ilk a few years ago pointing out a horrible faked signature - funnily enough listed at $2500 - and which I felt eminently qualified to make a judgement on. Do you know what they said in reply? They said, "Don't be ridiculous - we bought it from a colleague in the trade!".

Shucks - if I only I had known that! How dumb am I?

The item remained on sale for at least a couple of years before some poor patsy paid up.

Ask for provenance whatever their pedigree seems to be, would be my advice. And if there is none or it is as lame as the above, walk away.

I don’t like this Bob Dylan at all:

https://www.raptisrarebooks.com/product/modern-times-bob-dylan-signed/

The signature style harks back to an earlier era in Dylan’s career.  I’ve never seen a signature from 2006 or later in this style.

Thanks to all who offered very salient advice regarding not only Raptis Rare Books but the Eva Peron piece as well.

I'm afraid I rank as a novice in the field so I'm subject to pretentious slick websites. 

When I expressed interest in the Eva Peron, the owner was quick to offer me a "payment plan." He seemed anxious to move the piece because it's been on the website for quite a while.

thanks to those who saved this "sitting duck."

as always

Garrett M

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service