We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Here's something interesting I thought I'd share with you all. Some of you might have heard that the remaining members of Queen are making a Freddie Mercury biopic coming to theaters at the end of the year. This movie has been in the making for many years now and most queen fans assumed it would never actually leave the ground. But here it is. In discussing it with a few friends in the field both online and off, I have to agree the movie will provide new exposure to brand new fans and as someone else has so brilliantly put it: more exposure means new fans, new fans means higher demand, higher demand means higher value. I have to say I agree. This is actually something those of us in the queen collecting circle have been noticing over the last few months. Freddie's value has been growing recently and the movie isn't even out yet. For example, last year the going rate for a signed freddie on plain paper was about $400. Today, they are averaging about $550-$600 on plain paper. Last year, a fully signed album was worth about $1,200. Today they are averaging about $1,800/1,900 and growing quickly. Ive been collecting queen for about 40 years (yikes) and I can tell you this is not the same as usual yearly value growth. It's happening much quicker. Genuine Freddie autographs are spending less and less time sitting on sale. Last year it was common to see a freddie signed item for sale for a few days before it was scooped up. These days, we are seeing them being purchased within hours of being offered. Just a heads up for those of you interested in freddie signed items: now is the time to buy (safely). These autographs will be a great investment soon. Who knows how high the value will go this time next year. 

As usual if anyone is considering a freddie or queen signed item, I'd be happy to offer my opinions and help. 

All the best 

Tags: Freddie, Mercury

Views: 3677

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah yes, and there I was in the comments gushing over it! Lol. A beautiful one indeed

IMO besides of a fully signed news of the world LP or A night at the opera probably the best signed Queen item to own.

I remember this as well. Congratulations, Patrick!

This is on Iconic correct? Iconic inflates auction prices either by ghost or reserve bidders, imo. 

a VERY good point

The innuendo poster? That ones on Ebay. Although someone said earlier that Iconic had a couple signed albums at the moment.

Do they really do this? I recently made my first purchase through them in their February auction and have been looking at their subsequent auctions for pieces I might be interested in... (though I did think it was strange that the Marilyn Monroe photo they recently sold for 20k+ was back on eBay in the original consigners store less than a week after the Iconic auction ended. I just figured it was a nonpayment issue)

There are a couple threads here about Iconic. 

https://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/iconic-auctions-pre...

Would never buy from them 

Great poster Patrick! For me, the most beautiful signed poster by Queen.

I wish I had one of those Patrick!!!  I remember that post when you bought it. NICE!!!!!

just to add to this conversation for kicks because it has some relevance.

As I said b4, I collect for myself and NOT for future sales investments... BUT....

I wonder what all these sigs will be worth in 20+ years as the next generation or 2 get older. 

Yes I know it's a gamble and speculation and certain sigs will always be desirable. It's almost looking like Queen might make this list judging buy current values.

If I was in buying mode, that signed book I posted would be my interest. 

what say you?

I'd say queen is definitely on the list. I am biased, of course but to be fair, mercury is widely considered to have been one of (if not the) best rock showman. They have their fair share of hits that people will never stop playing. Bohemian Rhapsody comes to mind. Not to mention We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions. You cant go to any game without hearing at least one clip from those 2 songs. Another One Bites The Dust has made more cash these days from movie plays and royalties than it did when it came out and it was popular back then. You're My Best Friend too. Their catalog was pretty damn decent and seems to still be relevant some 40 years on. I think it's safe to say they'll still be sought after on 20 years. 

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service