We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi all,

What does everyone think about this Harper Lee signed book? 

Views: 1168

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the prices realised tell their own story - when you compare those with the "real" examples.

Looks to be mostly the 40th anniversary edition with this style of signature. They are pretty consistent. Secretarial? Or someone saw an opportunity and drip-fed them?

I do agree.  It seems quite extraordinary that there were a quick succession of 40th anniversary copies in this signature style auctioned by RR during 2008-2009.  Several since then as well...but one after another (sometimes monthly) during that time frame. 

yes it is weird for sure.  This looks a good buy, probably need to rob a bank though

https://www.raptisrarebooks.com/product/to-kill-a-mockingbird-harpe...

Hello Findbooks,

Here is the OP and an exemplar from PSA Facts. If the ones you showed are more recent and these older that is one possibility - otherwise, what do you think this style is? Secretarial or?

The Go Set a Watchmen #402/500 you showed was signed within a year of her death, 2015. The others I looked at bear similar shaky/elderly 88 yo signatures.

Dr. Brucato had this - said to be about 45 years old:

Gabe at Schubertiade has this, dedicated to her close friend Luna Diamond, former secretary to the National Council on the Arts:

One from 1960 and one from Nate Sanders 2002:

Hi Eric,

The feature I associate with her signature is two unconnected lines for an "H". If you look at the cheque which is the first result on the RR results list - is it 1990's?

So if the H is connected I need to put my specs on to have a good look. 

This rather flowery example seems to me to be specifically related to a particular era - around 2000.  I don't remember if pre-signed copies of the anniversary edition were distributed. I think not but I can't be certain. If there had been there would be many more examples available now. I would expect these to retail for 2-3K.

Perhaps there was a donation or similar from the publishers. In such an event the possibility of secretarial is raised.

The check is 1997 w unconnected "H":

Click for full image.

I don't think the OP style is authentic. 

I am looking at the "H", the first humpy "r",  "p", "L" and the "ee"'s. There seems to be a dense number and perhaps source for most of the OP style, where the others posted from 1960 on (before and after the OP style) exhibit a different execution to me. A lot can be seen in the negative spaces as well.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service