We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Hi all, i was recommended to come here via Facebook, hope I'm posting in the right area!

I picked up a load of vinyl a while ago that included a Jimi Hendrix axis bold of as love first pressing. I played it and didn't pay much attention but have just noticed that it seems to have been signed by the three members on the inside gatefold.

The consensus online so far is that the signatures are legitimate . Any advice or debunking welcomed. I've already been in touch with some auction houses and will be picking one soon.

Tags: Hendrix, Jimi

Views: 4239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lewis,

Thanks for posting these. Here's an unsigned Axis inside cover from Record Mecca. Your original photo has a slight yellow cast that your closeups don't appear to have. Is this cover's color the way yours looks in real life?

I adjusted your image for color and contrast in Photoshop. How close is this to what yours actually looks like, especially the contrast of Hendrix's writing? Thanks

Click to enlarge.

Yeah that's what it looks like. I took my initial photos sitting on my sofa with my phone camera, probably not the best lighting. 

Now i know the value I'm hesitant to pull the record out and mess with it too much

Ballroom,

How many band-signed Hendrix albums do you know of? And how many just signed by Jimi?

I counted six LPs signed by Jimi or Jimi and one other member and six band-signed LPs including this one. That doesn’t include LPs by other artists that he signed.

EDIT: Sorry, it’s seven band-signed LPs including this one.

Thanks, Ballroom. There are maybe 175 known band-signed Beatles albums and over 100 of them are Please Please Me albums from their two record store appearances. Decent Please Please Mes bring from the mid-$20,000s into the $30,000s as you know. Compared to The Beatles, band-signed Hendrix and the Experience albums should be six-figures.

That’s true. It’s a similar situation with signed album pages. They’re pretty similarly valued, but there are way more Beatles than Jimi Hendrix Experience sets. The demand for Beatles sets is just through the roof. They’re in their own league.

I've been talking to a few auction houses and Bonhams, if i go with them, intend to put this in with a signed White Album they have

Great story about the Discogs listing. The Great Escape!

If I were you, I would concentrate upon how well the auctioneers have performed with Hendrix material in the recent past and how they propose to get the best price for your allbum. There are several aspects to the latter but the key ones are choice of auction and quality of marketing. Some auctioneers (e.g. Sotheby's) have auctions aimed at bidders with lots of money who don't have the time or inclination to do any research. Sometimes crazy prices are achieved, or at least seemingly so.

Don't forget that past realised prices usually include buyer's premiums. These can vary widely and be up to 35%, especially at "bricks and mortar" auctioneers. The amount the lot realises is far more important than the fees you may have to pay the auctioneer. To state the obvious, $50,000 less 10% seller's fee is far more than $30,000 with no seller's fee. I'd rather pay a fee for good marketing - usually you get what you pay for in this life.

Obviously, you'll need to have a solid reserve just in case something unexpected happens on the day or there are are some shady goings on amongst potential bidders.

Don't be afraid to give your input on the draft catalogue materials the auction house send you (ask them to send them to you if they don't offer to do so). On this particular item I'm sure they will go a good job but I have had to intervene with some auctioneers in the past because they have not included some crucial information or images. 

Finally, being in a sale with a mega item like the signed White Album could mean that your album will be seen by more people but it could also mean that it gets slightly over-shadowed.

I am grateful for all of this type of advice as to be honest i have no idea. Essentially i have contact with RR auctions, Bonhams and Gottahaverockandroll. They are all very keen on the item and offering similar terms. I live in London so Bonhams feels like the easier option, and i like the thought of looking at the physical exhibition and being in the room on the day.

I'm open to anything and nothing is set in stone.

Help is appreciated 

Nice lp if it goes to auction ill have a good go at it , please post when and where once you know thanks 

Will do. Hoping to get it sorted tomorrow

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service