We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Should Member's Real Names be Required to Comment on Authenticity?

Should members be required to use their confirmed real names to comment on authenticity or any controversial or possibly defamatory topic? This is something that's been discussed on and off and I think it's time to require it.

For members  and the public to be able to determine who's expertise to listen to, I think they need to know who that person is. And when a dealer or his inventory is called out, it's only fair that he knows who is making the accusations.

Net54, a highly respected sports collecting forum, requires it for members who want to contribute to controversial discussions. And while it may limit the number of registered members, the vast majority of people who use community sites only read it—they don't register and contribute—so the site's value to the autograph community will still be high.

In fact, it should be even higher, because everyone knows the person behind the opinion.

Real name membership won't be required for everyone. Just members who contribute to authentication, controversial or possibly defamatory topics on AML.

Your thoughts?

Tags: real member names

Views: 905

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

People with a track record like you wouldn't have to give a phone number for verification. In fact, I'd try to do it without a number at all.

Maybe use Facebook for verification.

I have no problem with you using my facebook for verification. I mainly don't want people to have my birthday (I used a fake one for this website), because if someone has your real name and birthday they can steal your identity.

It's a 2 edge sword, that's why!  Presuming the information he has is accurate and it's not a paid time for type cell phone (which is untraceable btw) it can be anybody so there are no guarantees.

bad idea.  Comments are the responsibility of the commentor.  if the rules of engagement, as a thread on the subject has spoken of over and over again but not implemented were implemented then members would have a code of conduct to follow.   Failing that - suspension or banishment.    Claiming that someone uses their real name has absolutely no merit as who confirms that is their real name?

define Us?    Perahps a reminder of an onslaught of public threats, phone calls and publishing personal information occurred on some sites ought to be a reminder of why it's not a good idea.

Well, sadly, you not using your real name hasn't stopped that from happening to you anyway.

& that is precisely the reason why it ought not to happen to others (even if they are pains in the a## or missing links as the case may be).   Don Barcardi

I dont want my wife knowing how much of "her" money I spend on autographs, LOL.  I stay away from those discussions anyways, so it doesnt matter.  The people that need to know my real name like for buying and selling do.  the people who dont need to know dont.  I dont need to get robbed because someone local to me stumbled on my collection here and found out who i am and comes and trys to rob me or worse and then I am forced to end someones life to save mine all because of the internet.  Im happy the way things are.

If we are gonna use real names for certain topic discussions then I think it should be a paid area of the site (membership fee) and only visible to those who pay to join and are vetted to get in.  not just anyone with $10 gets a swing.  just my opinion/

I'll admit the security aspect is the biggest concern for me. It's not like my name is "Chris Willams." LOL.

The sick thing about Dave what people do not know is he is a Black Op's Black Belt kung fu Ninja who also moon lights as a sniper...you might step on a land mine or sink into quick sand if you step on the wrong section of his property...either that or the German Shepard will have you for breakfast...LOL 

or worse - you get to meet the Mrs.

I'm mixed. Obviously, I use my real name. However, at the same time I understand the desire not to do so in the current identity protection environment.

There have been a few instances where members had their personal information (addresses, family info, IP addresses, personal business, etc.) listed for public consumption without their approval or ability to stop it. Those times always marked a low point in a discussion, and thus the site.

Opinions based on signatures should be focused on the signature and not who opines. Still, it is very nice to know if the opinions come from respectable people.

On the same hand, if you sell an item here.....your name should be known to at least a moderator.

It truly is the described double-edged sword. I also think that each opinion rendered by ANY authentication service should openly state WHO opined on the signature(s). Just listing a bunch of names on a website or coa isn't enough. It reeks too much of "Godhood". That's not site related but it is information that would be useful to the pedegree of an item.

ok after reading more through here, this is my personal opinion on this.

I have no problem whatsoever providing Steve C. with my real name or telephone number as long as he keeps that info private.  maybe even just written on a pad of paper at home so it cant be hacked.  I trust Steve C. with my info completely and without hesitation.  I was just worried about a cracked out internet wacko in his moms basement getting my info and misusing it.  So as long as steve has it, that wont happen.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service