We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

THE PHILOSOPHY OF MODERN SONG: SIGNED EDITION by Bob Dylan (Not Cheap!)

Views: 31120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It does seem like it’s been available to order for an unusually long time, but we don’t know how many copies they have, or how many orders they’ve taken.  It’s a lot of money for many people to be spending right now, and the price will turn all but the most hardcore of collectors off.  I sent the link to several friends who claim to be in the market for a signed Dylan; all bar one baulked when they saw the price.  I’ve explained that you don’t get many opportunities to buy a legit Dylan signature for three figures, but most folk want this at Bono prices; that’s never going to happen.

When I bought my Face Value book last year, the price was comparable to this new book.  That one took several hours to sell out, and the National Portrait Gallery only had 12 copies available.

I don't know how I missed the Face Value books, I didn't realize those sold for that price or I would have gotten one then. The last signed book I noticed was the Nobel Prize book that they wanted $2500 for. I really wanted to get it but couldn't pay that much. I'm curious how many resellers purchased these as well, even though it's a lot of money it's still cheap for a Dylan autograph. So I'd think they'd be sold out by now for sure. But maybe I over estimate the demand. 

It was very easy to miss the Face Value listing.  It was never posted here, only on the National Portrait Gallery website and on one Dylan forum, where the readership mostly failed to grasp the significance of the post.  The listing went up on a Wednesday afternoon, with no pre-publicity and no mention on the usual social media channels.  As I say, there were only 12 copies available for sale.  Very low key.

I wanted to give a few friends the opportunity to buy, so I only ever distributed the link privately myself. I may as well not have bothered because every one of them baulked at the price.  Never underestimate the amount of tight-a**** out there.

That's cool you got one at least. Probably the best way of selling really if they only want true fans to get them. I have trouble keeping up on what's coming out and remembering dates to check this or that, and don't keep up on many forums besides this one, so it's easy for me to miss stuff.

I had kinda written off getting a Dylan autograph due to the price, but he was always in my top 3 "dream" autograph category in my head... so I don't go too crazy looking for them... I'd look at the signed prints occasionally and talk myself out of spending $2500-3000, and assume I'd either have to pay that much or never get one. So I never thought getting one for under $2500 would be possible, let alone under $500. I've been a big fan of him since I was a kid... He was my first concert as a young teen (and I always regretted not trying to get an autograph at that concert, not that I probably would have if I tried), so its kind of fulfilling a childhood dream to get one. So now I just hope they ship lol. 

Face Value wasn’t a new release, which is another reason why it flew under the radar.  The book dates from 2013.  My theory is that Dylan signed the 12 bookplates as a favour to the NPG, to give them a small financial boost during COVID.  It also tied in with his 80th birthday, and was the only official product (loosely) associated with that landmark anniversary.

I have one of his signed art prints, which my girlfriend kindly bought as a 50th birthday present.  It’s a lovely thing:

That's cool he did that. I was just reading a bit about it on another website. Pretty cool that he can help save a business by just signing something 12 times, but that is a good donation. 

I love that print, that's a hell of a gift! She must be a keeper. If she happens to have a single sister, let me know. I think my last birthday I did lawn work. Lol. 

I really liked the Mondo Scripto series he did... but if I were to actually decide to spend the money on one I'd probably have a hard time choosing which. The one you have looks amazing all framed up though. 

The NPG is a charity, not a business, but yes, I’m sure the donation helped during lockdown.

No sisters, I’m afraid, but she does have a crazy brother in the Peruvian jungle, if that helps?  I don’t get gifts of this magnitude every year, btw.  Like I say, this was a special one for my 50th.  Hell of a present from one hell of a woman.  I’m very lucky to have her.

I’ve not seen a Mondo Scripto print that seemed to be more than it’s component parts, IYKWIM.  Nothing that spoke to me.  If you can, I recommend seeing some of his prints in person.  The giclée process is amazing; you can see the brushstrokes at work.  I had several favourites amongst the Beaten Path Series, but the one I went with called to me the most when I was able to study them close up.  You can’t get that experience from a photograph or a digital file.

I'll take him, haha... wait no, I got enough crazy family members I probably shouldn't go for any more. 

I really like the sketch style on the Mondo Scripto prints, especially with the lyrics that go with them. Since I became his fan for his music more than his art those stood out to me, but I'm sure the color ones are probably a lot more striking... Especially in person. I'm a fan of his art as well as his music though, so any of them are really special. 

I haven't had a chance to see any of them in person though. The closest I've been to his signature in real life was at the Martin Guitar museum at their factory. They have a really nice signed photo on the wall... too bad it was bolted down... no I'm only kidding, I didn't actually check. Although with all the stuff they have there it might not have been my first choice on what to take home if they gave me the okay. Really cool to see though. 

Sorry, I may have missed it in the discussion, what was the price out of curiosity? It sure is a lovely piece, and with a nice story associated to it, which makes it even more special. People don't realize that blowing 1k on a new mobile phone that will stop working after a couple of years is not an investment, art and music both are, and this piece is a cross section of both. As I said, very special and desirable.

The Early Morning, Golden Gate Bridge print was £2,100 in September 2019.  Castle Fine Art valued it recently at £4,250, although whether it would fetch that in the current market is debatable.

Dylan’s most recent art prints have taken a price hike, with The Retrospectrum Collection starting at £3,250.

They are beautifully done, and worth the money, especially if there are any that speak to you personally.  He has saturated the market a bit, but I still think they are a good long term investment.

Very nice, enjoyed reading through this. Had no idea about the Face Value release, very cool and congrats on that. 

I have a Mondo Scripto print for Blowin in the Wind. It’s lovely and glad I got something to do with his music, but I’ve long admired the art series and kind of wished I’d gotten one of those lol. 

I also forgot about the signed Lyrics book in 2014 that was limited to 50 and went for 5K retail. 

Thanks, Matt.

In many ways, art chooses its owner rather than the other way around.  Some are drawn to the Mondo Scripto pieces, others to the landscapes, and still others to Bob’s figurative work.  Unless you really hate his style, there’s something there for everyone, I think.  It’s good to have that breadth of choice available.

Bob has had a few signed books out, but never any cheaper than £500 at retail.  And, so far, they’ve all been limited to 100 copies or fewer.  I think we’ll see more signed copies of the new book made available in the coming days.  Hopefully, everyone here who wants one will get sorted.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service