We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

Something just doesn't seem quite right about this ball. As of now, there have been 39 bids with the current bid price at $10,099.99. This signature on this ball seems a little off to me. It almost looks like something you might see at Coaches Corner. And I am not familiar with the company that authenticated it, Academy of Manuscript and Autograph. That authenticator was discussed in an AML thread from 11-29-2011.

The link is http://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-Autographed-Single-Signed-Basebal...

I'm not sure how to link it up properly from my iPad. Sorry.

It's item 261640641572

I'll post some relevant pics.

Tags: babe, ebay, forgery, prosport_usa, ruth, seller

Views: 969

Attachments: No photo uploads here

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you're absolutely right. They're okay with the "nickel and dime" stuff of say $50 to $1000 or so, but 10k probably makes them nervous. I reported a forger who scammed me out of a few hundred this summer. The reason he got me was because they were exceptionally well done copies. The autographs were spot on, however. I finally realized it when it was apparent that the paint pen did not rest on top of the photo. It was part of the photo. And then the seller appeared to have a limitless supply of some tough signers. And they were too cheap. I should have known better. But I reported a few times, but eBay let the seller keep on selling for several months longer, even when it had become so obvious what was going on. He even switched to a different account with the userid of "newnammatthew". Clever. Ebay was like, "So you're saying they're one in the same. Okay. Well, we take this seriously." Ya, right! This is the only time I've been scammed on eBay. Hopefully, it'll be the last.
Oh, and just for the record, I've still got those bad boys (autographs) since I waited too long to do anything with them. But rest assured they will NEVER be going back into circulation!

Dear prosport_usa,

I sent this to PSA Quick Opinion and here is the result

Dear Valued Collector,
                                                                                                                                                   11/01/2014

After careful examination of item # 261640641572 we have determined that the autograph is LIKELY NOT AUTHENTIC

Reasons for our decision

* Autograph shows signs of pooling ink, which would not be consistent with an authentic signature

* The autograph is slanted at an angle which is not typical of authentic examples

* The letter size is not characteristic of an authentic Ruth signature

* The ink does not appear to be soaked in to the baseball and/or shows signs of being artificially aged ( color of ink )

* The letter formation is inconsistent with exemplars that we have seen in our professional careers 

We have notified eBay of our decision (8388395030-PSA)

Great job, Jason!

Thank you, Jason! You saved someone from losing over $10,000. 

And with money out of his own pocket! Very commendable.

Yes. That was very generous of you, Jason.

Jack de Varona, Jr, Managing Member and Founder of Academy Of Manuscript & Autograph, LLC writes "We are a small company with a lot of integrity and we dedicate all of our time and effort into analyzing each piece to ensure that you are getting a 99% accurate authentication each and every time."

Seriously, Mr. de Varona, Jr?

Oh, that 1% is a killer.

"...a 99% accurate authentication each and every time."  That's the key. He's saying that none of his authentications are 100% accurate.

Good point, Steve.

He is a former Tyler Texas deputy. Certainly he can authenticate autographs. I mean after all those years of writing traffic tickets it gives him that winning edge.

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service