We're an eBay affiliate and may be compensated on purchases made through clicks. 

PSA Quick Opinion services. Would like your thoughts.

I wish we had a "poll" option on this site. I am curious to know what my fellow members think about PSA's Quick Opinion service. I have three questions.

• Do you, or have you, used this service?
  • How often do you use this service?
  • How accurate do you feel their Quick Opinions are?

Thank-you.

Views: 1370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I look at it this way.  If PSA charges $10 for a quick opinion and they say “likely not genuine”, then they have made $10 and the person who inquired is most likely happy they were saved from making a costly mistake.   If PSA says “likely genuine” and they are wrong, they have made $10, but have another set of problems with the person who may be out a large sum of money because of their mistake.  They most likely error on the side of caution to avoid being wrong, but make the money either way.  

Excellent point, Steve.  PSA has probably calculated that overall it’s in their own best interest to reneder a “LNG” in the vast majority of cases.  They protect themselves and still make money with less risk involved than if they provide an opinion of LG.  Fifteen inquiries that are returned LNG just means they collect $150 with no pain involved.  But if the item is actually genuine, they are costing the seller potentially lots of money from a lost sale.  Of course to be fair, if they do report an item LG, they have a chance the buyer will send in the item for a full LOA; hence more money that way.

I find this discussion most interesting. What seems bothersome here is that, according to most of the input, this is just another way to gain a buck from an inexperienced collector. Maybe they can just flip a coin. Heads they win; tails you lose.

Nice way to put it, Joe!

I expect a business with shareholders to take care of themselves first. I think it illogical to expect them to place customers collecting needs ahead of their bottom line.

Paraphrasing Adam Smith’s 1776 The Wealth of Nations, it is not because of the benevolence of the butcher, the baker and the brewer that we are able to eat. It is because they act in accordance with their own self interest.

Or perhaps, they render NLG as a way to sway potential buyers toward already certified PSA products? Passive aggressive motivations?

Very interesting.

Whatever incurs the least expenditure.

I’m wondering what would happen if a QO was requested for an inauthentic PSA/DNA authenticated item on eBay. Would it be reevaluated, or would it automatically be deemed “likely genuine”?

It would be interesting to hide the fact an autograph that has already been authenticated by PSA. And then see what their quick opinion would be.

+1

Any volunteers for this sick experiment?!! I have a couple of jsa items that were incorrectly deemed authentic but nothing from psa

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Steve Cyrkin, Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service